Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 12-30-2008 - 22:32

The Coast Starlate, in my opinion, is probably the most scenic route in the western states. There is also an extra lounge car, dubbed the Pacific Parlor car that at one time was exclusively for the use of first class tickets. I believe it's open to all passengers now. Of special foam note, these cars were once the Santa Fe hi-level cars, since reconditioned. Check your timetable; you should be leaving LAUPT mid-morning for an early afternoon run up the coast. Then after a crew change and photo-op at scenic San Luis Obisbo, up over Cuesta and later on up through the lush Salinas Valley. In the morning, you'll wake to very scenic mountain views.

Besides, who's to say your flight won't be re-routed, delayed or cancelled?

As far as the Chief goes, I've ridden it about eight or nine times in the past ten years, round trips either Chicago, Lamy, and Kansas City with San Berdoo or LAUPT being the other end. Only once was it late going west into San Berdoo by about 1'20". Currently, my work takes me to Barstow quite a few times a week, and I've not seen it late in either direction by more than 10" during the few times I'm at the yard when it's scheduled to go through.

Probably one advantage it has is that it basically follows BNSF's multi-mained Transcon. It runs up to 90 MPH between Needles and Barstow under ATS, then multiple main tracks from there all the way in to LAUPT. That's a lot of miles in a padded timetable to make up for delays.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Mike 12-29-2008 - 14:14
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Gordon Glattenberg 12-29-2008 - 15:17
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Jonathan Grant 12-29-2008 - 16:46
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Larry Orr 12-29-2008 - 17:12
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Ken Douglas 12-29-2008 - 18:09
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Charles 12-29-2008 - 19:36
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA George Andrews 12-30-2008 - 18:46
  Re: Timekeeping on Southwest Limited to LA Steven D. Johnson 12-30-2008 - 22:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com