Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland
Author: Dr Zarkoff
Date: 11-26-2020 - 01:36

> Did the SP and ATSF alternate years switching the customers on the lead that came out of the Wood St. yard area, running down 26th St.?

No, as I mentioned earlier, it was AT&SF-only. The only trading of switching districts in the Bay Area was the Richmond Belt Line, Jackson Square (SF), and Illinois St (SF). The SP/WP reciprocal switching agreement along San Leandro Blvd. had nothing to do with any of this.

I got my street names (numbers) mixed up earlier, after all it has been over about 35 years since I operated over any of the yard tracks you've been asking about.

> Heading from Hood St. back to the SP, it looks like the lead joined the ladder track of the Wood St. yard. Is that right?

Hood St?

Assuming you're talking about the small array of yard tracks on the east side of the SP electric lines north flyover, this is the Santa Fe's Wood St yard. The lead out of its south end (geographically) served part of the AT&SF-only industrial district in this area, which was also served by another lead which ran in Wood St for several blocks south of 34th St.

There was also a connection to electric 5, but it was for interchanging cars between the two RRs. This connection saw increased use by the Oakland local after the tracks through Oakland and Berkeley were abandoned (the former Cal Nevada narrow gauge line). The local entered the Mtz sub at Stege, pulled into MT 4, and then backed into this yard (reverse this process to return to Richmond).

The SP's had a switching district essentially parallel to the Santa Fe's, the lead for which peeled off from the depot's private car spur and ran up 18th St. This was a remnant of the SP's crosstown streetcar line and served other customers (who were not served by the AT&SF).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland TM 11-25-2020 - 22:43
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland i don't know 11-25-2020 - 23:07
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland TM 11-25-2020 - 23:26
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland Dr Zarkoff 11-26-2020 - 01:36
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland TMe 11-26-2020 - 10:40
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland Dr Zarkoff 11-26-2020 - 13:18
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland TMer 11-26-2020 - 13:34
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland OPRRMS 11-26-2020 - 14:20
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland TMer 11-26-2020 - 17:32
  Re: Joint SP-ATSF Trackage 26th St. Oakland OPRRMS 11-26-2020 - 19:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com