Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free?
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-08-2020 - 18:15

Post covid existence, what is the AADT of the I-10 through Beaumont pass?

What is the level of service on I-10 in terms of flow rates, on and off peak?

What is the peak and off peak travel times to and from the Coachella Valley on the I-10?

What rail city/station pairs would be served, what would those peak and off peak travel times be? At what level of capital investment/rail level of service.

How do they compare with the distribution of travel demand that could time/cost competitively be served, compared to similar cost/time trade offs we've observed in other corridors, comparing mode travel time/cost distributions?

Based on what comparative availability or frequency of services...

You mix a those things together, and a few other things, like operating costs, fare levels, and you model it against different speeds, travel times, service levels, and the investments needed to meet those parameters, and you get a matrix of options, with different optimal ridership, based on different investment levels, to achieve various levels of ridership, and various "cost benefit" outcomes (and the same for environmental screening of impacts...) ....

It's called a properly done "alternatives analysis" which is something that was never really done (require on all Federally funded highway and transit projects), nor ever required by the FRA, with the CAHSRA fiasco, resulting in the boondoggle, now being "redone" even as it is being built.

Perris ridership sucks because it offers very poor service levels and poor connectivity, as this kind of analysis would predict, because very infrequent service with long wait times, depresses ridership.

Non Covid, non special event traffic levels on the only route the I-10 and the lack of jobs, services, and access to both normal interregional travel needs, and special events would be very viable to the Coachella Valley. It has been for years.

Is it worth between a minimum of $500 million, or more likely (for an entirely separate parallel passenger main over Beaumont) around $1,2 billion, to run peak and off peak ML, and "express" "interregional" LOSSAN Coachella-IE-OC-LA-VC-SB, and/or Santa Clarita/Palmdale-Lancaster, with direct connection via the run-through at LAUPT? There was a market for such service 15 years ago...

Is there the political will or the financial resources?

Apparently, not yet...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Passenger Train Foamernomics drknow 12-08-2020 - 11:07
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics An Observer 12-08-2020 - 15:18
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics FUD 12-08-2020 - 16:22
  I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm PalmSpringsSunday 12-08-2020 - 17:28
  Re: I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm Ed Anger 12-09-2020 - 10:17
  Re: I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm FUD 12-09-2020 - 12:06
  Re: The numbers are much larger, and the distance traveled are hellacious... BOB2 12-09-2020 - 16:27
  Re: The numbers are much larger, and the distance traveled are hellacious... FUD 12-09-2020 - 22:38
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? BOB2 12-08-2020 - 18:15
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? Huell liked trains 12-08-2020 - 19:46
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? Mr traffic 12-09-2020 - 10:55
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? Drknow 12-10-2020 - 17:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com