Re: The numbers are much larger, and the distance traveled are hellacious...
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-09-2020 - 16:27

FUD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indio California 2020 population over 90K.
> [worldpopulationreview.com]-
> ca-population
>
> When Coachella is running, population is several
> 100K.

Coachella Valley has a permanent population of just under 500,000 for all of the cities from Palm Springs to Coachella, and a winter population of nearly 800,000. All connected to the Southern California basin by one interstate-I-10. Add to that approximately 200,000 more between Cabazon, Banning, Beaumont, and down to Loma Linda that would also potentially be served by a commute/intercity rail passenger corridor extension.

Indio, itself would just be the logical terminal, and they want it. By sheer happenstance of this being the topic, I have actually done CO2 and other emission calculations, about 10 years ago, for a client working on the City of Indio application for a park and ride facility. And, some folks might just be surprised just how many folks have to go "over the pass", and the hellacious distances of some of their commutes... Which made for huge CO2 numbers...at 4 kilos (8.8 pounds) of CO2 per gallon of fuel burned, and you making a majority of 50 mile plus commutes each way... Events and tourism would just create more demand, kind of like Comicon trains to San Diego... Imagine all of that extra Comicon traffic on the I-5 on a summer weekend.... Gee, instead of a five hour trip, it would become a seven hour trip... And, as LOSSAN demonstrates, when your interstate travel times suck that bad, even a 3 hour LA-SD trip looks pretty damned good...

Even when I worked on first large scale video traffic/post card surveys of origins and destinations, of all observed cars during daylight hours, on routes like the 91 westbound coming into Orange County, back in the 90's, we had a surprising number of people who reported coming in from the Coachella Valley, even one from places like Palm Springs all the way to Beverly Hills... This is just one reason why RCTC is in LOSSAN.

Data is fun, you can sort it and using GIS can plot it and you saw on a big map, all of the trips, by census tract of origin, And, when we did that for the 91, it showed how they funneled over the pass, down the 15 from place like Rancho and Ontario, and out of southern Riverside County, came through our survey site, and distributed themselves where they were going.... Using observation, surveys, and collecting "data" about how people actually travel, you actually "know" (or at least can reasonably estimate...) how many folks are going where, how often, when, even sometimes why, and then you can do "real" planning, using real math, to compare how to meet their varied travel needs, instead of just guessing...

Sou Cal to Coachella Valley is not a bad candidate for regional rail passenger service, but it won't be cheap, as UP would likely require separate passenger tracks over the corridor.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Passenger Train Foamernomics drknow 12-08-2020 - 11:07
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics An Observer 12-08-2020 - 15:18
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics FUD 12-08-2020 - 16:22
  I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm PalmSpringsSunday 12-08-2020 - 17:28
  Re: I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm Ed Anger 12-09-2020 - 10:17
  Re: I waited for a train at 06:00 hiding in the bathroom of an amshed from a sand storm FUD 12-09-2020 - 12:06
  Re: The numbers are much larger, and the distance traveled are hellacious... BOB2 12-09-2020 - 16:27
  Re: The numbers are much larger, and the distance traveled are hellacious... FUD 12-09-2020 - 22:38
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? BOB2 12-08-2020 - 18:15
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? Huell liked trains 12-08-2020 - 19:46
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? What is the traffic volume, how much to widen I-10, where are the jobs, where are the regional connections, where are the regional services, where art the tourists coming from? You want this for free? Mr traffic 12-09-2020 - 10:55
  Re: Passenger Train Foamernomics? Drknow 12-10-2020 - 17:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com