Re: EUKA
Author: SP5103
Date: 03-04-2009 - 08:25

Engine/train assignments in the Fall of 1989 of Eureka Southern

EUKA 70 (xCCT, nee READING?) - Arcata Local - on duty early evening at Korblex; turn to Korbel up the Annie & Mary; turn to Samoa if needed (usually just to Emerson Lumber, gravity drop cars by engine), then to Eureka yard and meet Scotia local and exchange cars; return to Korblex, another turn to Korbel sometimes needed to deliver empties, often crew was out of time and an extra board crew was called.

Asignment of GP38s #30-33 (xConrail, now DM&E)

Scotia Local - On duty Scotia early evening with 1 or 2 units, work to Eureka to meet Arcata Local, turn loco on turntable as needed, work back to Scotia and tie up. This job also worked the Carlotta branch as needed, I don't remember if it was usually on the way up to Eureka or the way back to Scotia.

The Canyon turns - Crews on duty at Willits and Scotia in the morning, Willits crew builds train, Scotia crew usually has train already made up by Scotia local; trains meet at Island Mountain, crews trade trains w/ engines and return. As I recall, one GP38 could handle 20 loads, second unit would be added if it went over 20 loads as available. Either train might do some MOW switching, but I don't recall them switching much else. PALCO at Scotia still had their own switch engine, so that was basically an interchange move.

Sand/Gravel train - usually an extra board crew. Worked daylights as needed with one GP38 to meet barge.

I can't remember any more if this was a five or six day a week schedule - I'm thinking six. The passenger trains were handled by the canyon crews working an extra day. The Saturday crew out of Willits would take the passenger to Island Mountain and trade the Scotia crew for the outbound loads. The passengers would unload/load right in the middle of the street in Eureka, and on Sunday morning would head back to Willits after spending the night. At Island Mountain, the Scotia crew would trade the passenger for the inbound empties brought up by the Willits crew.

Of course, any derailment or engine failure and all hell broke loose - which was usually every week or so.

The main reason the #70 stayed on the Annie & Mary is that it was the lightest engine at the time. The A&MR had been operated with 44 tonners in mu, and the first several trips with an EMD resulted in broken bridge stringers. The #70 has a very small fuel tank for most GP-7s and no dynamics - I'm guessing under 120 tons?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  CCT Engines Don Meehan---Napa 03-03-2009 - 07:51
  Re: CCT Engines The Montezuma Yardmaster 03-03-2009 - 08:15
  Re: CCT Engines Jeff Moore 03-03-2009 - 08:24
  Re: CCT Engines Policespeeder 03-03-2009 - 13:58
  Re: EUKA SP5103 03-04-2009 - 08:25
  Re: EUKA policespeeder 03-04-2009 - 10:06
  Re: EUKA Tom Moungovan 03-04-2009 - 18:31
  Re: EUKA Alf Doten 03-04-2009 - 21:20
  Re: EUKA SP5103 03-07-2009 - 11:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com