"Eastbay Model Engineers Society"
Author: Key Route Ken
Date: 09-16-2009 - 13:57

Hi Everybody-- For the past year I have written and posted a marvelous photo story called "Great Days at Eastbay" on another well-known Discussion Board. It details the history of the old "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" model club on Halleck Street near Yerba Buena Yard in Emeryville, CA... I was up to at least TEN chapters from 1930 to 1984, plus several misc "Lost Episodes"... It is a great history-- perhaps your parents or grandparents took you to that huge layout when you were a kid, many years ago. You entered the giant warehouse thru a Caboose entrance from the street. What you then beheld was simply breathtaking... Trains by the hundreds. Even streetcars and Interurbans. The photos I ran are rare and unbelievable..
But last night, EBMES (Pt.Richmond,CA) member "Walt Freedman" sends me an e-mail and basically says:
"Look what we just found in some very faded U.S. Navy envelopes in a pile of old papers and junk we brought with us from the old Emeryville location when we moved to Richmond in 1984/85..

He found a big stack of "portrait negatives" of the members who used to entertain all of us "kids" some 60+ years ago... Some are identified and some are not.. Walt still has about another 20+ negatives to scan... Ok guys--
Walt Freedman and I both request your assistance in seeing if any of you happen to know who the UNKNOWNS are, in the Gallery shown herein.. Please let us know. You can respond direct, if you wish, to keyrouteken@msn.com ....

I personally feel that for the EBMES//GSMRM club at Pt.Richmond to find these photos of their Pioneer members is "simply amazing" ...
Thanks for your help on this Project !!

URL for the Members Gallery : [www.gsmrm.org]

URL for early history of Halleck location by "KRK" :
[www.gsmrm.org]

Note: One of the identified photos is "Cliff Grandt" (HO model pioneer)

Another is "Walter Brown"-- one of the EBMES original founders and co-chairman of the
NMRA's Live Steam Standards Committee in the 1940's...

And yet another, is "Jack Collier"-- owner of Jack Collier's "Toys for Men" hobby shops in
Oakland and San Francisco. The Oakland location used to be in the 3600 block of Grand
Avenue......

Enjoy!!

KRK

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" Key Route Ken 09-16-2009 - 13:57
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" david illich 09-16-2009 - 18:42
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" Espee99 09-16-2009 - 19:22
  NMRA Convention of Summer 1947 Dick Seelye 09-16-2009 - 23:15
  Re: NMRA Convention of Summer 1947 Key Route Ken 09-17-2009 - 10:27
  NMRA Convention of Summer 1947, continued Dick 09-17-2009 - 13:00
  Re: NMRA Convention of Summer 1947, continued Key Route Ken 09-17-2009 - 13:47
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" GTB 09-17-2009 - 16:29
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" The Montezuma Yardmaster 09-17-2009 - 17:53
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" Ken Shattock (aka 'KRK') 09-17-2009 - 19:40
  Re: "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" OldPoleBurner 09-19-2009 - 17:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com