Re: American Flyer motor locks up
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 11-13-2009 - 09:18

Thanks, Dave! I don't know why I had a little trouble researching this yeasterday...I got a lot of links to people selling these, historical accounts, appraisals, EBay, etc. I haven't checked any of your info out yet; I'll be on duty sometime this morning and it will have to wait until I get back. I'm greatly inclined to follow your advice, as I noticed late last night on one of the engines that there is a coil/pickup device with a small copper and plastic roller with two copper pick ups at the front of the engine near the smoke box. It is in need of cleaning and it also seemed to be arguing with the motor during subsequent testing. This device also has a lever that protrudes through the boiler skin and is located near the sand dome. On further examination, the wiring relationship does seem to indicate a strong relationship with the motor.

As the shell is cast metal, and there are only two wires going to the tender that powers up the smoke generator, I assume this is an earlier model with the reverser located in the engine instead of the tender. Two of these engines are of this design, whiel the third seems newer, having a plastic body and the reverser in the tender- also having a four wire plug that connects to a plate under the cab roof edge. Thanks again, and I'll update in a couple of days after I've looked into your links/suggestions!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  American Flyer motor locks up Steven D. Johnson 11-12-2009 - 18:53
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up LarryB 11-12-2009 - 18:58
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up almo 11-12-2009 - 19:20
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up David Dewey 11-12-2009 - 22:58
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up pedo viejo 11-12-2009 - 19:57
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up Steven D. Johnson 11-12-2009 - 22:03
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up David Dewey 11-12-2009 - 23:47
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up Steven D. Johnson 11-13-2009 - 09:18
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up David Dewey 11-13-2009 - 14:31
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up Steven D. Johnson 11-14-2009 - 16:51
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up OldPoleBurner 11-12-2009 - 23:15
  Re: American Flyer motor locks up Steven D. Johnson 11-14-2009 - 20:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com