Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE
Author: BOB R
Date: 03-11-2010 - 23:19

Thanks to all for your tips. I went to the area yesterday and the weather was perfect, the green color stunning. every way into Altamont north of the highway is gated and posted. I steered clear of that area but noticed the WasteManagement road overlooking the whole scene and stopped there. Truly a good view of Altamont and the tracks. Afternoon sun was perfect. Set up for a memorable photo about 15 minutes before the train was due and waited. Almost no traffic on the WM road, which is very wide for a two lane road. Parked on the curb only partway in the lane and stood around. A minute before the ACE train rolled through Altamont a guard from WM told me to "leave, immediately" as I was trespassing and causing unsafe traffic conditions. Guilty as charged on trespassing but not so much on causing the traffic hazard, since there was no traffic at the four and a half hour.

Good rail fan, I left immediately and missed the perfect shot. The photogenic parts of Altamont have become off-limits to shutterbugs!

BTW. Wildflowers at Altamont are still subdued to not there (except for poppies). However, east of the pass into the valley promises some spectacular color in the next few weeks. I can't photo trains so I'll settle for the birds and the blossoms.

Thanks again.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE BOB R 03-02-2010 - 14:32
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Ernest H. Robl 03-02-2010 - 16:03
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Steve Carter 03-02-2010 - 17:24
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE S.S. Sam Taylor 03-02-2010 - 18:20
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE BOB R 03-02-2010 - 18:25
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Bruce Kelly 03-02-2010 - 20:28
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Stevo del Applegato 03-02-2010 - 21:15
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Sam Reeves 03-03-2010 - 10:10
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE Bill C 03-05-2010 - 09:29
  Re: SHUTTERBUGS ON ALTAMONT AND ACE BOB R 03-11-2010 - 23:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com