Re: How about a real alternative?
Author: BOB2
Date: 08-27-2011 - 10:30

Try Alternative Number 4-

Part A-Reform and Restructure the CHSRA legislation for both accountability and technical responsibility (Lowenthal)

Part B move the Federal ARRA funds that will lapse when the CHSRA is in court for the next several years on the current proposed segment to nowhere, and let the competitive local projects, already cleared in many cases, that are truly "shovel ready" use the lapsing funding on LOSSAN, and in some of the proposed shared use corridors can move forward to early implementation and have real near term benefits.

Part C Conduct a complete independent peer review of the CHSRA's planning and business assumptions, costs, benefits, uncertainties, and recommend real changes in the program. Revise the legislation to allow for more flexible design and oversight, and to promote "competitive" funding of high priority projects based upon clear incremental system benefits.

Part D Develop a fully integrated State Rail Plan that identifies real achievable IC and HSR milestones in attracting passenger volumes/generating traffic relief, with the best cost/benefit, which clearly identifies and phases highest priority investments, which presentsthe best opportunities for real private public partnerships. A plan which is realistic, affordable, and sustainable. This plan would hopefully be based on the premise that this would be a real partnership with regional and intercity services or agencies, mnay of whom own the urban right of way.

I actually like Rich's Altamont wye concept. It is more consistent with a process that would look at critical shared urban access corridors, for early implementation of projects with potential real near term benefits, in highly congested corridors.

As for those who think that I oppose responsible high speed rail, because I oppose the nattering nabobs of negativism at the CRN? Well, I don't see the professional Thomas haters at the Reason Foundation on quoting me much, as they seem have more than enough to use and quote from the CRN to beat the dead horse at the CHSRA.

So I'm just fine with my position on the latest CRN HSR diatribes, and that eternal editorial grudge match with the equally dysfunctional CHSRA, beer or no beer.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Richard Tolmach and TRAC push alternative hsr route synonymouse 08-25-2011 - 17:55
  Re: Richard Tolmach and TRAC (?) push alternative hsr route BOB2 08-26-2011 - 09:11
  Re: Richard Tolmach and TRAC (?) push alternative hsr route BOB R 08-26-2011 - 14:28
  Re: Richard Tolmach and TRAC push alternative hsr route Randy 08-26-2011 - 09:38
  Re: Richard Tolmach and TRAC push alternative hsr route Michael Mahoney 08-26-2011 - 14:00
  Re: How about a real alternative? BOB2 08-27-2011 - 10:30

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com