Re: Camera stuff!!
Author: mook
Date: 10-23-2011 - 18:25

Most of the advertised "kits" I've seen lately come with a zoom rather than a 55mm-equivalent "normal" lens. You have to pay extra for a real "normal" lens. They're probably aiming at upgraders from a point n shoot. Unfortunately, the kit zoom is usually fairly limited both in range (3-4x starting at about 35-40mm equivalent) and in speed (usually f3.5-4 tops). You also have to be careful - the kit zoom may not be the same brand as the camera, and while there are some very good 3rd party lenses there are some dogs as well. An upgrader might be disappointed in the range (point n shoot generally gives 3-4x optical zoom range too) and the speed (f2.8 or better isn't unusual in a middling point n shoot these days).

Frankly, for non-pro use, I'd wonder about getting an SLR these days. They're big, expensive, relatively heavy, complicated to use, are subject to serious planned and unplanned obsolescence, and for grab shots I like something smaller and easier to pack. In the film daze, I used a Canon rangefinder (interchangable lens - had 35, 50, 80, and 135) and was very happy with it (yes, it had no meter - you learn how to read the light or get a separate meter). It still works, BTW, at 50+ years old (shutter has been cleaned lubed & adjusted a couple of times - try that with your new Nikon/Canon!), but film is getting hard to come by and have processed. Some of the recent electronic viewfinder/interchangeable lens cameras look interesting as a RF equivalent.

So my feeling is that if you are a pro/semi-pro (i.e. you SELL your pictures) or want to feel/look like one, and have the money, get a SLR (I'm brand-agnostic though all my good film cameras were/are Canon) and the associated gear. If you're more casual, consider a wider range of equipment. I currently use a mid-range (for the time) point n shoot (Sony, with a Zeiss lens) that produces nice photos in most circumstances, though I certainly wouldn't try a basketball game or some of the fancier shots shown here; would like to get something better if the budget ever allows, but probably not a SLR.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Camera stuff!! hyrail 10-22-2011 - 11:24
  Re: Camera stuff!! Marty Bernard 10-22-2011 - 17:18
  Re: Camera stuff!! traingac 10-23-2011 - 07:20
  Re: Camera stuff!! Ernest H. Robl 10-22-2011 - 18:13
  Re: Camera stuff!! 833up 10-22-2011 - 20:52
  Re: Camera stuff!! mook 10-23-2011 - 18:25
  Re: Camera stuff!! AmtrakFan454 10-23-2011 - 00:02
  Re: Camera stuff!! Jim Fitzgerald 10-23-2011 - 14:48
  Re: Camera stuff!! NoormSchultze 10-24-2011 - 12:17
  Re: Camera stuff!! Norm Olaine 10-25-2011 - 19:58

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com