Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line
Author: BOB2
Date: 03-28-2012 - 10:29

I believe there are pictures in Mullaly and Petty's Southern Pacific in Los Angeles of the hospital trains coming to Pasadena up Arroyo Parkway from the harbor with wounded from the Okinawa campaign on their way to the Vista Del Arroyo, which was during WWII was requisitioned as a hospital, and is now the Federal Courthouse overlooking suicide bridge.

There was a great 'drivers education" movie from the 1950's with wayward teenagers about to be killed by an oncoming SP Pasadena Branch Line train on at Arroyo and Glenarm.

The SP Depot book also has a number of shots of the shared SP-PE main station at Colorado and Arroyo Parkway-formerly Broadway, where they shared trackage north of where Whole Foods is located today. There are also photos of the freight shed about a block on a half south between Cordova and Green Street.

I have not seen that many photos of the SP Duarte Branch. I do recall a shot of a local in Arcadia, probably in the late 50's, when that segment of the branch still ran to Arcadia from the PE connection at the San Gabriel River to Irwindale. This segment continued to operate long after the end of both the line segment from Alhambra to Arcadia, and the end of the PE connection, via Huntington Drive, which carried freight, as well through WW II. The last segment of the Duarte Branch ran via on the former PE segment through Bradbury/Duarte, to the where the SP and PE met in east Monrovia on Streets and private ROW, and into Arcadia via private ROW, and street running on Santa Clara, crossing the ATSF Second District a block south of the former PE at First Avenue, and on west of Santa Anita, where there was a small set of "yard" tracks, behind where Rusnak is today.

I crushed my first penny on this line while walking home from First Grade at Monroe Elementary School under the wheels of the SP switcher that came by everyday at Mayflower and entered the private right of way, which is where Chestnut Street runs today.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Tim 03-27-2012 - 19:20
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Eugene Salinsky 03-27-2012 - 21:06
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line johoff 03-28-2012 - 09:19
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line BOB2 03-28-2012 - 10:29
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Howard Wheeler 03-28-2012 - 11:34
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Marty Bernard 03-28-2012 - 12:45
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Robert Scott 03-28-2012 - 14:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com