Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.)
Author: SPSF
Date: 09-20-2013 - 14:03

The car had/has some scorch marks on the inside from the lights used during filming. I believe some of the chairs have been changed out over the years, but the carpet, paint, etc is from the WP. The car was used on the end of Wildflower/Santa/etc trains the WRM used to run to the north. Another heavyweight Pullman and two SP former commute cars were in the consist, pulled by the SN GP7 or former Navy units. The 44-tonner was used at times but the GP is what I recall seeing being used.

At one point the idea was to use one of two former WP steam engines at WRM, the WP baggage car, another car I don't remember, and the car mentioned here (653) to recreate a former WP train called the 'Feather River Express' or something along those lines. The idea never came to fruition, but I recall seeing paperwork asking for money to recreate the train.

I rode in the 653 a few times - a nice solid ride, even on the lightweight SN tracks. The inside was comfortable with overstuffed chairs. I believe a speedometer, or at least air gauge, is just inside the rear platform door as well. There is also a small sign and picture discussing the cars use in the movie.

Corrections welcome to the above.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Harold & Maude Squeaky 09-19-2013 - 17:24
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info Margaret (SP fan) 09-19-2013 - 18:02
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info Milw-E74 09-19-2013 - 19:50
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) SPSF 09-20-2013 - 14:03
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) R Ruiz 09-20-2013 - 17:40
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) Al Stangenberger 09-20-2013 - 19:17
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) RVJ refugee 09-20-2013 - 23:05
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) fkrock 09-21-2013 - 10:33
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) RVJ refugee 09-21-2013 - 13:43
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) Dr Zarkoff 09-21-2013 - 21:24
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) KRK 09-22-2013 - 13:55
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) RVJ refugee 09-22-2013 - 18:04
  Re: Harold & Maude passenger car info (at WRM in Rio Vista, Calif.) Tunnel Rat 09-24-2013 - 07:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com