Re: UP Track Warrant...
Author: SP5103
Date: 11-07-2013 - 09:39

For some reason I don't seem to have the same objection to having Timetable and Train Order or a Track Warrant within Yard Limits or Restricted Limits. I guess the reasoning behind this is that the Yard Limits or Restricted Limits rule takes precedence over any other authority.

GCOR Rule 14.1 Authority to Enter TWC Limits
Where designated by the timetable, a track warrant will authorize main track use under the direction of the train dispatcher or as prescribed by Rule 6.13 (Yard Limits) or Rule 6.14 (Restricted Limits). Track warrant instructions must be followed where yard limits or restricted limits are in effect.

I did have a rules instructor explain it this way once - if your warrant says "Clear main track at last named point" or "Hold main track at last named point", once you have arrived and complied with the warrant, then you can go do whatever you want under the YL or RL rule.

I do agree, it can get confusing when you have double track that goes through an island of CTC and then you need a track permit to run against the current of traffic - been there, done that. I was coming off a dark territory branch once long hood forward on a curve and couldn't see a thing. I had to go through a CTC island the wrong way on double track to a hand throw crossover across the other main into the yard. The conductor and a supervisor helping with the move told me we were lined up and to make our move. It dawned on me latter that we were "lined up" for the move but there was little possibility that we had a signal for it.

The old Yard Limits rule is real interesting - everyone at Restricted Speed EXCEPT it did not apply to First Class trains that you had to clear, or failing to clear protect against. The 49CFR still allows this exception, but I am not aware of anyone using it perhaps because they do not have the capability of providing flag protection.

San Diego is interesting. The tracks in front of the depot designated as main tracks within CTC. The north end is full CTC, but at some point it drops off to hand throw switches and (as I recall) ends up as Restricted Limits under the Double Track rule to the BNSF yard under control of the yardmaster. It's been a while, so things may have changed. The interesting thing is that because Amtrak is tying up for the night on a main track, blue signals have to be displayed but there is no requirement for lining switches against the protected track or derails.

The biggest issues with railroad operating rules (and air brakes) in my mind is that the instructors themselves aren't always qualified. I have had some excellent instructors, but also some who had no clue what they were doing. Much like our current educational system, there is too much emphasis on "teaching the test" rather than having the student understand the concept and THINK how to apply it in various situations.

As I have argued previously, there are many factors in today's world of railroading that did not exist not that many years ago, and little effort has been made to recognize and compensate for their possible impacts. It used to be that a new hire basically served several years basically as an apprentice in the position as fireman or brakeman before being promoted to engineer or conductor. Most crews typically had at least one member with many years experience. I have heard of new hire conductors on a Class 1 being given six weeks of training and being marked up. Shortlines can be far worse. And before they even know what they were doing as conductor, they find an engineer's ticket in their box of Cracker Jacks.

Another issue that must be considered are the HUGE crew districts that now exist. In the 1970s a typical crew terminal might have a couple good sized yards, 200-300 miles of mainline and might have a few branches. Mergers, hub terminals and extended crew districts have changed this. Has anyone added up how many mainline miles some of the new terminals require crews to be qualified on? Do crews out of Roseville now have to be qualified on the yard, remaining branches, the mains to Portola via the canyon, Sparks via Donner, north to Roseville, south to Fresno and west to the Bay Area via several routes? Now try wading through all the General Orders and Superintendent Notices for all these territories.

Am I the only one concerned this could deteriorate into an insane mess that is an unacceptable threat to our safety?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP Track Warrant... Outsider 11-04-2013 - 15:46
  Re: UP Track Warrant... JDM 11-04-2013 - 16:31
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Outsider 11-04-2013 - 16:55
  Re: UP Track Warrant... ex-BN 11-04-2013 - 19:46
  Re: UP Track Warrant... SP5103 11-05-2013 - 10:47
  Re: UP Track Warrant... ex-BN 11-05-2013 - 20:28
  Re: UP Track Warrant... SP5103 11-06-2013 - 09:47
  Re: UP Track Warrant... George Andrews 11-06-2013 - 19:26
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Mark 11-07-2013 - 02:02
  Re: UP Track Warrant... SP5103 11-07-2013 - 09:39
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Dr Zarkoff 11-07-2013 - 15:46
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Mark 11-07-2013 - 17:27
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Mark 11-07-2013 - 17:20
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Dr Zarkoff 11-07-2013 - 09:01
  Yard Limit Rule Changes SP5103 11-07-2013 - 13:59
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Mistertower 11-05-2013 - 10:04
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Mistertower 11-05-2013 - 10:08
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Outsider 11-05-2013 - 13:39
  Re: UP Track Warrant... Outsider 11-05-2013 - 13:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com