Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass?
Author: Mike Swanson
Date: 02-25-2014 - 18:02

Show me a single commuter line that does; I do agree that good ol' "Ambassador Bill" Richardson may have shafted us with the RailRunner, though (God knows he and his cronies have done so with damn near everything else he's done as Governor!).

I doubt, though, that Albuquerque's going to drop off of the list of cities directly served by Amtrak, though. Not only is it the largest city served on the old "passenger main" between Belen (or more properly, Dalies) and KC, but it's the largest city served between Los Angeles and KC as well, and I doubt Amtrak wants to lose the passenger revenue generated here in the Duke City. Keep in mind there's a perfectly servicable wye located just SW of the main yard that could be rebuilt for far less than the cost of building a new station and crew change/fueling facilities in the Belen area (good luck finding a place for that, unless BNSF wants to let Amtrak refuel its trains at the yard there and transfer passengers to/from buses to/from ABQ and points north; yeah, right!!). Throw in the fact that the Isleta Jct. - Belen route has been upgraded to permit 79 MPH running and has CTC (and is ready for PTC - if/when it's ever installed) and there's no reason why direct service to and from Albuquerque has to end. I'd very much prefer to keep the current route, though (not that there's much hope for that outcome, unfortunately)...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? ke6qr 02-22-2014 - 18:11
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? ATSF Fan 02-22-2014 - 18:25
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? brains 02-22-2014 - 18:31
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Rich Hunn 02-22-2014 - 18:49
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Margaret (SP fan) 02-24-2014 - 11:14
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? George Jenista 02-24-2014 - 13:35
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Longhorns 02-22-2014 - 18:48
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? E 02-22-2014 - 21:48
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? BOB R 02-23-2014 - 14:29
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Rich Hunn 02-23-2014 - 15:27
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Van 02-24-2014 - 04:35
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Cyrtonyx 02-24-2014 - 09:37
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Rich Hunn 02-24-2014 - 10:48
  Re: Last Run Of Southwest Chief Over Raton Pass? Mike Swanson 02-25-2014 - 18:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com