Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region
Author: SKR
Date: 10-29-2014 - 09:50

Matt, been talking to Stan I see. I know the Colfax to Pullman line is less than ideal, but could get service started more or less immediately. Oakesdale to Thornton is at this point new construction that would require a complete environmental impact statement, would require petitions before the Surface Transportation Board, not to mention the dealing with land owners. Getting shippers access to both BNSF and UP could generate more traffic--fertilizer traffic in particular. Line between Colfax and Pullman does have two elevators that are currently trucking to McCoy and could shuttle by rail, Colfax also has elevators that shuttle as well. Colfax also has Spokane Seed Co that was at one time a big shipper until Watco added their "fuel surcharge" and Colfax also has to machinery dealers that used to get equipment (via BN in Pullman) until Watco removed the unloading ramp in Colfax. The chemical dealer at Mockanema used to get chemicals via the BN in Pullman as well. Yes, there is a 3% grade out of Colfax, but the runaway was caused by frozen trainline and would have happened on any kind of grade (it's what happens when you don't maintain your blow downs and also shut down units in below zero weather.) Currenly Spokane Seed prefers BNSF rates and is currently trucking from Colfax to their plant in Spokane to load BNSF. The bridges on the Colfax to Pullman line are to be rebuilt for the paved trail, and most of what needs to be done to the bridges is needed for rail or trail use, and in fact, the decks on many bridges will have to be widened in order to support ambulance access for the trail that will end up costing more that fixing the bridges for rail use. The Colfax to Pullman line also offers tourist train potential, but that's another story. Yes, the ideal solution lies in Oakesdale, (BUT, there isn't a wye there either) but getting the opportunities opened up is a more immediate need to help build traffic and maybe attract some new customers----so that in the 10 or so years it will take to get through all the legal hoops on the Oakesdale line there will be enough traffic to support it. I also think it is a waste of time to build new track with 90 pound rail from the Colfax to Pullman line. If you are going to do it, you might as well use 115 pound at a minimum. There are more matters I could expound on, but that's for another time. The lines now are starving for traffic and industry, having access to both class ones could help a great deal, particularly since Stan went to the effort to get rid of the "Paper Barriers" (or so he has told people). I also know that the W&I has been pretty open about not wanting to operate the Colfax line, even before the bridge burned, even though Bennett Lumber promised to almost double their shipping if they could go UP as well. Maybe getting more motivated operators instead of Watco and W&I should be considered--but that is up to the WSDOT (who also isn't to motivated on these lines anymore either).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Matt Farnsworth 10-27-2014 - 23:14
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Bruce Kelly 10-28-2014 - 08:36
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Greg Mission 10-28-2014 - 14:38
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Goatboat 10-28-2014 - 16:47
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region David Smith 10-28-2014 - 18:12
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Matt Farnsworth 10-28-2014 - 19:32
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region hepkema 10-28-2014 - 20:00
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region SKR 10-29-2014 - 09:50
  Re: future of rail service in Palouse region---WI&M shut down. Throttle Hogg 10-29-2014 - 09:57
  Re: future of rail service in Palouse region---WI&M shut down. Brian Westgate 10-29-2014 - 12:20
  Re: future of rail service in Palouse region---WI&M shut down. Graham Buxton 10-29-2014 - 16:04
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region David Smith 10-29-2014 - 17:47
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Goatboat 10-30-2014 - 10:40
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region Throttle Hogg 10-30-2014 - 10:54
  Re: State of Washington wants input on future of rail service in Palouse region David Smith 10-31-2014 - 14:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com