Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Total tax faker
Author: crmeatball
Date: 05-04-2015 - 13:44

I really don't think the homeless solution is something liberal democrats or conservative republicans have figured out, hence to Hutch's point of excessive homelessness being due to liberal policies and to other's claiming conservatives are heartless and without compassion. I identify primarily as conservative - but moderate. I find that most conservatives are very compassionate and giving at a personal level but are somewhat callous when looking at issues generally. Liberals are generally the opposite, compassionate when looking at a problem generally, but not as much at an individual level. (Granted, this is a generalization from my own personal experience). Hence both sides see right past each other.

Either way, for a solution to chronic homelessness, I suggest we look to Salt Lake City as an example. While SLC proper is quite liberal when compared to the rest of the state, it is still in a conservative bastion - Utah. They have taken an approach which makes great sense. They provide homes to the homeless (what a concept!). (See Article here) Rather than simply throwing money at the problem, it is a carefully managed program, partnered with local charities and churches to help get these homeless people off the streets. And it is cheaper than other homeless assistance programs. It is akin to giving a man a fish (the approach by most large cities, by providing tempory food and shelter) and teaching him to fish (providing a home, counseling and job placement services). It is an incredible program.

The program is not perfect. There is still a need for temporary homeless services. I have many times volunteered at a homeless shelter in SLC, providing meals, clothing, toys, school supplies and such. As I have met and interacted with these families, I have discovered their struggles are as varied as ours. Often, mental illness of a family member plays into their story - mental illness which, when treated, can be overcome and allow them to be a functional member of society - but only when they are able to get help. The number who rely on these temporary services as small (we would feed between 600 and 900 people, depending on the time of year) and the homeless problem is SLC is nearly unnoticable, except in a few block area around these shelters (which conincidentally is centered around the old D&RGW station - one shelter even shares a parking lot with it. Its also only a block from the current shack Amtrak is in).

So rather than pointing fingers as to who is at fault, let's put those fingers to work and elect individuals who are going to actually solve the problem. Not those who will complain about how much it costs and ridicule those "deadbeat" homeless or those who will simply throw money at a generalized solution with no individual focus, doomed to simply keep them on the street. Elect individuals who are going to express compassion on a one-on-one basis and do so in a fiscally responsible manner. Then the issue of vandalism at places like the ORHM will become less an issue.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Bad news for the ORHM Kcjones 04-30-2015 - 14:43
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM Chris Fussell 04-30-2015 - 15:34
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM Kcjones 04-30-2015 - 16:11
  Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! pdxrailtransit 04-30-2015 - 21:03
  Re: Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! Arlen Sheldrake 04-30-2015 - 21:45
  Re: Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! Mark 04-30-2015 - 23:29
  Re: Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! Kcjones 05-01-2015 - 07:54
  Re: Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! Pdxrailtransit 05-01-2015 - 08:21
  Re: Homeless Equals Taggers??? - Not!!! Ken Middlebrook 05-01-2015 - 16:02
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM WestinAshahr 05-01-2015 - 09:01
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM Kcjones 05-01-2015 - 09:59
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM HUTCH 7.62 05-01-2015 - 21:41
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Hutch 7.62 Richard Elgenson 05-02-2015 - 12:20
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Hutch 7.62 Not a tax taker 05-04-2015 - 08:12
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Total tax faker Richard Elgenson 05-04-2015 - 11:06
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Total tax faker crmeatball 05-04-2015 - 13:44
  Re: Homelessness Z-Train 05-04-2015 - 20:20
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Hutch 7.62 HUTCH 7.62 05-04-2015 - 21:35
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM - Attn: Richard HUTCH 7.62 05-04-2015 - 21:51
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM Erik H. 05-02-2015 - 16:14
  Re: Bad news for the ORHM Kcjones 05-03-2015 - 10:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com