Re: STMA
Author: hepkema
Date: 02-04-2007 - 14:46

This will cause me to use a word that might not be too popular with many--but according to a reliable source, Watco was apparently being talked to by both the UP and by Potlatch itself at the time of the bridge collapse. Potlatch's investment in repairs might make any near-future deal a little too expensive for now. They just might choose to stay in the railroad game awhile longer. The STMA has had Railworks doing some major maintenance during the fall, so they will be in good shape for several more years when they re-open (and I don't have a date for that either). The issue is Division of Revenue. No Class 1 wants to look at having 2 shortlines handle a car before they get their hands on it--unless one of them doesn't charge anything, which makes brilliant business sense. Unless the UP hands Potlatch/STMA the line from Spokane (maybe Manito) to Plummer, Potlatch/STMA isn't going to buy 20 miles of good line at even scrap prices (since the line is 131lb rail) if they don't get a significant bump up in the revenue division, so I can't see them being too interested in a purchase. (Maybe a lease?) It's going to take somebody with intentions of operating the whole package--Spokane-St. Maries, Bovill Branch, Plummer industrial tracks, and Fairfield Industrial lead. I really think that everybody is on hold right now because of that potential mining operation down near Bovill. Since Potlatch/STMA would originate that traffic, that revenue is possibly an attractive prospect. Also lurking is the BNSF influence because they have a haulage agreement over the line since their W.I.M. connection was washed out.

(Hey Mr. Washington--St. Maries is not too far from Missoula for a nice little additional "family" operation.) I remember in '90 or so when MRL bid on the whole UP branchline package from Spokane down to Hooper. That could have saved some of those lines from being torn up.

Another factor to the whole picture is the Bridge The Valley project, which could have the UP build a new yard east of town and connection up Lake Street to Parkwater, which would free up all of that valuable real estate under their present yard (the Plummer Turn's home) between Sprague Ave, the fairgrounds, Havana St., and Fancher Road. (They just sold a big chunk for several $million for a new Sam's Club right next to Costco--right where the lumber reload is.)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  STMA sjw 02-03-2007 - 19:38
  Re: STMA rolland meyers 02-04-2007 - 10:34
  Re: STMA hepkema 02-04-2007 - 14:46
  Re: STMA Ross Hall 02-04-2007 - 17:20
  Re: STMA rolland meyers 02-05-2007 - 10:39
  Re: STMA Swingspan 02-05-2007 - 10:59
  Re: STMA Tom Barrett 02-04-2007 - 18:49
  Re: STMA hepkema 02-04-2007 - 20:44
  Re: STMA vs. GNR/CSP Bruce Kelly 02-05-2007 - 07:58
  Re: STMA vs. GNR/CSP S. L. Murray 02-05-2007 - 08:21
  Re: STMA vs. GNR/CSP Marc Entze 02-05-2007 - 10:47
  Re: STMA vs. GNR/CSP Bruce Kelly 02-05-2007 - 12:24
  Re: STMA vs. GNR/CSP hepkema 02-05-2007 - 15:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com