Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility?
Author: SP5103
Date: 01-21-2018 - 16:55

This is some kind of odd Connect Oregon project - there were several that were either left over from the last round or didn't go through the previously typical process. Connect Oregon bonds are paid with lottery proceeds, so unfortunately this is viewed as "free" money supported by state sanctioned gambling. (Then again - the stock market is largely another version of sanctioned gambling.)

There are several proposals to locate an intermodal facility in the Willamette Valley but only one will be funded. Another one is to be built in the Ontario area. The Ontario proposal seems to hint at this is to compete/compliment the Railex/Cold Connect facility in Wallula, and as I recall Railex did consider a facility somewhere in the region a few years ago. Since Railex has become UP Cold Connect, the operation seems to have evolved into the former concept reminiscent of the "Fruit Train" that UP ran in the early 90s. There was a regular departure of perishable cars from Idaho Falls and Twin Falls each Mo-Sa night that were combined in Pocatello for an early morning departure to North Platte. I heard that as demand warranted the train might actually originate in Nampa or Hinkle. It would make sense to gather the perishable loads starting in Wallula and working east, but at some point the cars not going to Cold Connect in Florida or New York would have to be kicked out and sent on other priority trains. Unfortunately railroads have largely forgotten how to efficiently switch and swap blocks in an expedited manner.

I can see some demand for Ontario, but not sure how it will be switched especially if it handles both perishables and general transloading. I'm less optimistic of the Willamette Valley location as this seems to be more of a "build it and they will come" business plan. Regardless of its location, it needs to be switched on a regular basis with some kind of defined access to UP and BNSF (likely via PNW). I'm afraid it will become nothing more than a glorified team track.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Geob 01-21-2018 - 07:58
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Graham Buxton 01-21-2018 - 08:55
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? BOB2 01-21-2018 - 09:16
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Arlen Sheldrake 01-21-2018 - 09:39
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? BOB2 01-21-2018 - 10:17
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Graham Buxton 01-21-2018 - 10:27
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? George Andrews 01-22-2018 - 18:08
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Erik H. 01-21-2018 - 10:07
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Arlen Sheldrake 01-21-2018 - 15:03
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Shortline Sammie 01-21-2018 - 16:54
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? SP5103 01-21-2018 - 16:55
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Nussel Snouts 01-21-2018 - 21:54
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Shortline Sammie 01-22-2018 - 08:22
  Re: Millersburg OR Intermodal facility? Erik H. 01-22-2018 - 21:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com