Re: HSR on the Peninsula (and Tehachapi)
Author: synonymouse
Date: 11-14-2008 - 23:44

Mook's comments as always are right on target.

It could be that the engineering difficulty of both routes is reasonably equal. But the Grapevine has the advantage of being demonstrably more direct. Why not let the HSR boldly go where no railroad has gone before?

If our railroads were nationalized and the HSR were to take the route thru the Tehachapis the freight lines would be automatically incorporated into such a major project. By European standards the Tehachapi Loop would be considered an anachronism, even tho much beloved by fans. One question that deserves to be examined is whether the HSR route would pose problems for any eventual upgrades the freight railroads might have in mind there.

I believe if you put the question up to a vote it would go in favor of the Grapevine(of course excluding the citizens of Palmdale). I know you could say the public already did vote on it, but it is very possible that top speeds in the urban areas may be less than hoped for and counted on, making the direct route necessary if you want to live up the campaign promises. I don't know if 125 mph will sell on the Peninsula - it depends on the noise and vibration. There is no buffer zone; the towns are right on the railroad.

In the UK in order to take full advantage of the Channel Tunnel it has been necessary to construct an entirely new line from Dover to London(St. Pancras, I believe.) with much tunnel. A very expensive and difficult job - I don't think we could pull off anything of this magnitude in the Bay Area at this time. My point is that the new HSR trackage will have to be direct and making only the most important stops for the project to be an economic success.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  HSR and Techachapi Loop synonymouse 11-13-2008 - 11:22
  Re: HSR over Techachapi Tim 11-13-2008 - 11:35
  Re: HSR over Techachapi Desert Don 11-13-2008 - 17:11
  Re: HSR over Techachapi Desert Don 11-13-2008 - 17:13
  Re: HSR over Techachapi Ernest H. Robl 11-13-2008 - 17:54
  Re: HSR over Techachapi synonymouse 11-13-2008 - 19:36
  Re: HSR over Techachapi - Bay Area too... George Andrews 11-13-2008 - 19:57
  Re: HSR over Techachapi - Bay Area too... synonymouse 11-13-2008 - 20:43
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula Tim 11-14-2008 - 10:51
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula synonymouse 11-14-2008 - 13:09
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula (and Tehachapi) mook 11-14-2008 - 17:44
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula (and Tehachapi) synonymouse 11-14-2008 - 23:44
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula (and Tehachapi) George Andrews 11-15-2008 - 16:16
  Re: HSR on the Peninsula (and Tehachapi) synonymouse 11-15-2008 - 18:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com