Re: I'll Believe It When I See It
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 10-18-2022 - 00:43

George Andrews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I recall, the U.P. passenger line through Boise has been severed on one end. I regret never riding The Pioneer, though it disappeared shortly after I moved to Seattle in 1995.

GOOGLE aerial photos show the track still being there, but it appears the line is out-of-service and weed grown between eastern Boise and Orchard. If passenger service is ever restored, the potential is there for Boise to, once again, be served, but it's anyone's guess as to whether something like The Pioneer can operate once again. Generally, once they're gone, they're gone forever.

Here's a photo of one of the Brown Brothers Harriman special trains between Boise and Orchard in September 1968. The effort UP went to in operating these three trains (a pilot train and two massive special trains) between Seattle, WA and Ketchum, ID is a story in and of itself. After the conference in Sun Valley was concluded, they also ran a special train from Ketchum, ID to Salt Lake City, UT. Nothing close to this has ever been attempted since.

[www.newyorker.com]

https://i.ibb.co/JFg22yr/Brown-Bros-Harriman-1968.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Boise-Salt Lake-Las Vegas Passenger Rail Goldminer 10-16-2022 - 21:07
  Re: Boise-Salt Lake-Las Vegas Passenger Rail Alf Doten 10-17-2022 - 09:49
  Re: Boise-Salt Lake-Las Vegas Passenger Rail Sgt. Joe Friday 10-18-2022 - 12:15
  The infrastructure exists, all you need to do is figure out where the train would stop" LOL 'Transit Advocate' 10-17-2022 - 10:23
  I'll Believe It When I See It The Ghost of Harley Staggers 10-17-2022 - 12:30
  Re: I'll Believe It When I See It George Andrews 10-17-2022 - 18:17
  Re: I'll Believe It When I See It D. B. Arthur 10-18-2022 - 00:43
  Re: I'll Believe It When I See It Northern Snowman 10-18-2022 - 04:55
  Re: I'll Believe It When I See It George Andrews 10-20-2022 - 17:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com