Re: Harbor Sub Memories
Author: Ken Scott
Date: 04-30-2009 - 20:12

I remember it quite well. I was raised in Westchester - 3 miles west from Ingelwood. The Santa Fe had a 1880's style station in Ingelwood, which was painted bright red with white trim. This station was photographed in many silent movies. The PE had placed a wooden box car off the track on the north side of their track as their station but accross the street from the Santa Fee Station. On the PE, about 200 yards from the "station" was a tressel that was about 60-80 feet high and about 100 feet long. It was still under wire. However, the wire came down in the 60's, I think, and the tressel was filled in. The SP built a metal wherehouse building near the end of the line and remove the wooden box car. The only real regular customer on the PE's line was a cement plant about mile and half further west.

At the Santa Fee station, an ALCO switcher was assigned to switch the business in Inglewood and those new business around the airport.

Tbe Santa Fee line serviced a furniture manufacturing plants in Ingelwood and at the airport plus Nash Auto plant, McDonald Douglas and North American aircraft plants to name a few. The biggist improvement I remember is when they raised the rail line to go over Century Blvd. At the north end of the rise was the Frito Lay plant, the south side was a switch that crossed Aviation Blvd and serviced about 10 manufacturing plants.

After crossing Imperial Blvd, the line went another 1 mile, or so, to cross the PE's El Segundo line at Wise Tower (Spelling ?). Both the PE and Santa Fe serviced the Standard Oil refinery. Also, around this area, was the Santa Fe's branch line to Redondo Beach. The line saw several steam trains to Redondo Beach for that City's founding days. The PE in the late 50's ran a regular 2 car express motor train to El Segundo station around 1 or 2 pm. The train would stop at Wise Tower, a little wooden build contain the levers to change the signal on the Santa Fe, change the signal and then proceed across the Santa Fe and then stop. The motorman would then walk back to the the building, reset the signal, walk back the train and then proceed on to El Segundo. On return, the procedure would be re-inacted. I had the pleasure to have taken a PE fan trip in 1955, I think, which travel the El Segundo line all the way to the El Segundo Station, where the PE buses tied up.

Do I remember the steam engines? Yes! If I recall correctly, they were 2-6-2s. Then came the Baldwin Diesal that had a engine on each ends and a cab in the middle. This thing was big and mainly served the oil refinery. I do not know if it was a local switcher that came from the LA yards or just a replacement for the Ingelwood switcher. Then came the GPs - brand new, paint shiny blue and usually 2 or 3 together, which went all the way to the harbor. They staid about a year and then disappeared.

I hope this rememberance was not too long. Thanks for reading.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 13:38
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 14:46
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 15:17
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 15:56
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Ken Scott 04-30-2009 - 20:12
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 20:22
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Tom Moungovan 04-30-2009 - 20:36
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 21:24
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories ^ 05-01-2009 - 16:40
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories ^ 05-01-2009 - 16:33
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories KEN SCOTT 05-01-2009 - 21:09
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories USMC1401 05-02-2009 - 18:01
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 05-02-2009 - 18:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com