Re: Harbor Sub Memories
Author: KEN SCOTT
Date: 05-01-2009 - 21:09

I haven't thought this much about my growing up adventure land, so, thanks for the memories. About the 2-6-2s, they were Santa Fee engines, I do not think they were 2-8-2s or 2-8-0s. From time to time in the 50's, my family would go to Centenila Park, Inglewood, and the Santa Fe Harbor trains ROW would go along the south bluff of the park about 20-30 high, I think. I remember seeing those steamers go by while I was climbing on the bluffs. They would go by rather slowly as I remember; probably because of all the people in the park, it was summer time.

Now about the McCulloch Chain Saw plant on the north side of the airport and the north side of Century Blvd. There was a spir track the came off the line that headed west. The McCulloch plant was about 1/2 mile west of the Santa Fe ROW. The spir was just before the north side of the Century Blvd overpass; however, I think the spir was removed when the overpass was constructed. Where it went to, I do not remember. Sorry. The area around the Frito-Lay plant was swampy, and it was fun to adventure into the high reeds and into the swamp. The ROW would be about 6-8 feet above the swampy area and any train movement could be clearly seen.

All this has changed. All the rail customers have gone. McDonald Douglas is no more, North American Aviation is no more, Inglewood customers are no longer, the Inglewood Station burn down many years ago, the Redondo Beach SF line is no longer, the PE/SP is no longer, but the Santa Fe line, the PE El Segundo line to the refineries and the Cheveron Refineries are still there.

And, the latest talk is that BNSF will be building a intermodal transfer yard in Wilmington at the end of the Harbor line, and the BNSF plans to run intermodal container trains over the harbor line. If this is so, the MTA's desire to use part of this line for light rail passenage service to LA airport and connect with the Green Line will make interesting reading.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 13:38
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 14:46
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 15:17
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 15:56
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Ken Scott 04-30-2009 - 20:12
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 04-30-2009 - 20:22
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Tom Moungovan 04-30-2009 - 20:36
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Freericks 04-30-2009 - 21:24
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories ^ 05-01-2009 - 16:40
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories ^ 05-01-2009 - 16:33
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories KEN SCOTT 05-01-2009 - 21:09
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories USMC1401 05-02-2009 - 18:01
  Re: Harbor Sub Memories Rich Hunn 05-02-2009 - 18:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com