NP Bridge over the Ship Canal
Author: Jim
Date: 02-27-2010 - 11:57

Gentlemen, I've always wondered about the NP bridge over the Seattle Ship Canal. I think it connected the Interbay area, near Fisherman's terminal, with the NP line to Woodinville (now the Burke-Gilman trail). I've seen it on maps, and I think one of Warren Wing's excellent books has a photo of one of the bridge approaches, but I've never seen a photo of it or details of when it was dismantled. I'm assuming it might have been abandoned when the line was abandoned at the BN merger in 1971. Was it a drawbridge? I've biked and kayaked in that area and as best as I can tell there are no remnants at all of it, or the bridge approaches.

Anybody have any pictures or more info about this NP bridge? That would be appreciated.

As a side note, one can still see remnants of the Kenmore-Woodinville portion of the old NP line. The Burke-Gilman trail leaves the old right-of-way at that trestle near Bothell landing. One can still see rails imbedded in a few driveway crossings between there and Woodinville. Until a few years ago, you could the rails for the siding into that Cement plant in Kenmore, but those are apparently paved over now. I believe the Kenmore-Woodinville segment lasted until 1985 to serve that cement plant at the north end of Lake Washington. You can also see rails and trestle remains near the Fremont Bridge of the spur along the west side of Lake Union to the Terry Street industrial spurs. The rails along Westlake Blvd were removed a few years ago.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  NP Bridge over the Ship Canal Jim 02-27-2010 - 11:57
  NP Bridge over the Ship Canal and a bit more d 02-27-2010 - 13:43
  Re: NP Bridge over the Ship Canal and a bit more Jim 02-27-2010 - 14:47
  Response to Jim's offering d 02-28-2010 - 11:39
  Re: Response to Jim's offering Jim 02-28-2010 - 19:36
  Re: NP bridge photo Graham Buxton 02-28-2010 - 21:16
  Re: NP bridge photo Jim 02-28-2010 - 21:26
  Re: Industrial spurs Graham Buxton 02-28-2010 - 21:48
  Re: Industrial spurs George Andrews 03-02-2010 - 12:03
  Re: Industrial spurs Graham Buxton 03-02-2010 - 16:09
  Re: Industrial spurs George Andrews 03-02-2010 - 16:34
  Re: NP Bridge over the Ship Canal Coaststarlate 03-02-2010 - 22:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com