Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives
Author: AC
Date: 05-06-2010 - 19:32

You need to check the TOS at Flickr again. You are mistaken regarding what the terms are.

I want to clarify. I'm not trying to berate you and I don't work for Flickr either. I'm just trying to point out that you don't need to go finding another service because Flickr doesn't do the things you perceive that it does.

"No selling." Actually, it's "no commercial use" not "no selling." Flickr allows you to sell your images directly through Flickr, if you want to.

"No links." If you mean links to other sites, that's not so. You can link to your own web site or other sites if you wish. If you mean linking to photos, you can do so. If you mean embedding an image elsewhere (such as here) then you can embed the image but you must link the image back to the Flickr page -- not exactly a horrible thing. They're a photo sharing site, not a free host for your web site's images.

"Flickr has the right to assume intellectual rights." Again, no. Flickr allows you to set your preferences on copyright, which includes "All Rights Reserved." The only exception to this can be found in the Yahoo! TOS, (as Yahoo! owns Flickr) and allows Yahoo! to "use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available."

Note, "solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available." That does not include advertising or making banners for Yahoo!. At no point does Yahoo! or Flickr ever "assume intellectual rights" and your content remains yours at all times.

"...and also has the right to use your material for their advertising via Yahoo Groups." At no point does Flickr or Yahoo! ever do this. In fact, the TOS actually state that you do *not* grant any additional rights to Yahoo! Groups if you don't post anything to Yahoo! Groups.

For more on these, see:
[www.flickr.com]

And:
[info.yahoo.com]

Especially the latter under 9.b.

Again, my point is not to berate you, it's to ease your fears. If you still feel uncomfortable with Flickr, by all means check out Picasa or any number of other services. You will, however, find that the Terms of Service for other sites will be much the same as those at Flickr, and that you're not actually giving away any of the things that are important to the control of your images. And if you are really really still concerned, or still do not understand where you stand regarding copyright and online use, you can always confer with a copyright lawyer.

I hope you are able to find the information you need to come to a decision. Best of luck!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-03-2010 - 14:13
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Jared 05-04-2010 - 07:38
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-04-2010 - 14:32
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives mook 05-05-2010 - 12:25
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives The Toad 05-05-2010 - 16:27
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Graham Buxton 05-05-2010 - 19:14
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Drew Jacksich 05-05-2010 - 22:33
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Mike T. 05-10-2010 - 16:36
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives AC 05-06-2010 - 19:32
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-07-2010 - 01:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com