Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old
Author: I wish I really could use my real nam
Date: 10-11-2010 - 22:02

Well, that article was a little too blase for my taste. It's apparently written by someone who is pro-rail, and that's fine...but, it made too many open ended statements that were not clearly supported by facts. As example, he wrote: "Despite this success, there are some interests urging Congress to undo the progress borne out by the Staggers Act over the last 30 years. Such efforts would impose new rules on railroads that could curb employment growth at a time when job creation is at a premium, and our nation rallies to avoid a double-dip recession." Exactly who or what entity is trying to do this? How would their efforts quash hiring; in what manner, and would it be short-term or far reaching?

He further states "Because the average rail shipper can move twice the freight today for the same price it paid almost 30 years ago. That is a bargain that translates into savings passed onto consumers..." Two questions: Is that with inflation figured in, and what analysis was used? How much gurantee is there that the savings is passed on to so-called consumers, anyway? When we think of consumer spending, are we really thinking about people shopping for a refrigerator at Sears, or are we talking about captive shipper consortiums of bulk commodities like coal, grain and petrochemicals? Aren't there far too many variables in the supply chain to pin the hopes on rail rates at a national level directly benefitting the consumer?

Few petrochemical shippers in the Gulf Region have forgotten about U.P.'s infamous 1997 meltdown, or BNSF's seemingly exorbitant surcharges for coal shippers in the PRB because of coal dust remediation. How about a little more hard facts instead of shoe-shine?

Some other little gems of that writer's: "Mega-companies with huge profits..." It was reported in the most recent issue of Railway Age that BNSF paid Warren Buffett $250 million for a 1Q dividend. How's that for a "Mega-companies with huge profits..."!

And, "...which has used private capital to pour records sums back into building and maintaining the nation's rail network infrastructure." Wait a minute, stop right there! When you say it like that, I'm under the impression that I own part of BNSF/UPRR/KCS tracks as a taxpayer...I think not!! He continues: In fact, railroads have invested $42 billion in just the past two years in network expansion and maintenance -- a massive level of investment that will not be possible if the advances triggered by the Staggers Act are rolled back." Please elaborate! While it's very true that railroad's private capital was re-invested, that's true with every successful enterprise! How would this investment be curtailed?

And finally, the one I like the most: "Freight rail is at the heart of at least three Obama Administration goals: doubling exports in the next five years; shifting more freight from trucks to fuel-efficient trains, and expanding intercity passenger rail service across the country." I sure hope the current administration follows through. Take that, Obama Haters! HA!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old Marty Bernard 10-11-2010 - 19:56
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old I wish I really could use my real nam 10-11-2010 - 22:02
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old Richard Elgenson 10-11-2010 - 22:31
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old Bill Bowling 10-12-2010 - 10:09
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old OldPoleBurner 10-12-2010 - 10:51
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old J 10-12-2010 - 14:13
  Re: Buffet's slice of the pie I wish I really could use my real nam 10-12-2010 - 15:36
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old R Ruiz 10-12-2010 - 14:37
  Re: The Staggers Act Is 30 Years Old mook 10-12-2010 - 17:47
  Re: loose cars Severe Duty 10-12-2010 - 22:13
  Re: loose cars Curtis R. Milburn 10-12-2010 - 22:33
  Re: loose cars George Andrews 10-12-2010 - 22:46
  Re: loose cars J 10-13-2010 - 04:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com