Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 11-25-2010 - 16:39

> Maybe our great state could use some of this money for education, you know my two
> sons weren't offered any "shop" classes in high school, maybe my grandsons could
> take wood or auto shop if we just cut out the NCRA deal !

I hear you about the shop classes!

In fact, they pretty much left my youngest in a big lurch. My next to youngest had to actually leave school every day on an R.O.P., just to get any practical training at all - he wasn't headed to college by any means. But by my youngest's turn, they had altogether dumped, or de-funded all vocational classes everywhere in the region, including the R.O.P programs. This in a high school with a whopping 25% dropout rate and only a 35% college entrance rate. They weren't preparing them for college, and they also were not preparing them for a vocation either. What the hell did they expect all those kids to do in life anyway.

I suspect they (educators) couldn't have cared less, as they obviously had an agenda of their own. If they gave it any thought at all, what else could they have expected, except that they would just remain dependent on the dole. It's any wonder that the dropout rate was exploding.

Now what is really strange - is that you would complain about a paltry $68 million being wasted on the NWP. But then you suggest using it instead for another even bigger and more grandiose waste - along with the $20 billion or so already going to "education".

Unfortunately, in most areas of California, shop classes were dumped or otherwise gutted of any practical use years ago; even though school budgets were still rising at the time; and even though ALL high school students should be getting vocational training anyway, even if they are college bound. This was well before the State started taking its tribute money from all local coffers. In fact, there was a huge 12 billion surplus at the state level at the time. That was still true just as Gov. Davis took office. It wasn't that long ago, but it was well before any hint of depression hit.

The point is, that money had nothing to do with it. What did have everything to do with it, was the obvious corruption, incompetence, or outright unwillingness, of "educators", to truly educate our kids, or to in any way actually prepare them for adult life.

If we think that money spent on the NWP is just being frittered away - then surely we must also conclude that sending one thin dime more to the dummied down public schools, would be tantamount to BURNING it in a bonfire, on the town square, at high noon!

At least by giving it to the NWP project, some old guys, who long ago did get some vocational training, got to have a real job for a while. And what they built, at least has a reasonable hope of being a public benefit in the furture. More money to the public schools ain't gonna help what's wrong with them - in fact, the institution of "public education" is so thoroughly corrupt, that it'll probably just make it worse.

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Chris 11-23-2010 - 10:55
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose BOB R 11-23-2010 - 14:08
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose capdiamont 11-23-2010 - 15:39
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose NormSchultze 11-23-2010 - 16:29
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose OldPoleBurner 11-24-2010 - 00:34
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Tom H 11-24-2010 - 08:15
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Espee99 11-24-2010 - 09:40
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose synonymouse 11-24-2010 - 09:51
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Caboverbob 11-24-2010 - 20:10
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Espee99 11-24-2010 - 21:42
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose George Andrews 11-25-2010 - 07:42
  Re: weather for the NWP theory. Tony 11-25-2010 - 09:24
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose OldPoleBurner 11-25-2010 - 16:39
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose OldPoleBurner 11-25-2010 - 17:12
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose YoungPoleBurner 11-25-2010 - 19:01
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose Ex-educator 11-26-2010 - 11:04
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose synonymouse 11-29-2010 - 12:53
  Re: FRA to SMART : Sorry you lose hmarkwart 12-01-2010 - 20:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com