Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective
Author: Fortunate Foamer
Date: 07-09-2011 - 20:42

I became a railfan during my teen years in Central Pennsylvania during the early 1970s. In those days, a Penn Central E-unit or Alco locomotive was something to get excited about.

I was fortunate to live near Penn State University which had (and still has) a model railroad club. Occasionally, the club members would take day trips to places of rail interest, including several trips to Horse Shoe Curve. I remember one trip to East Broad Top, but at the time I was more interested in Penn Central's main line action. On another trip to the Curve, there was a side trip to the Allegheny Portage Railroad which was of very little interest to me.

During those years, I was also aware of Colorado Narrow Gauge, but didn't understand why so many modelers and rail fans found it so interesting. I remember a cartoon in one of the model railroad magazines showing a building with a sign reading "Here's the only structure in Colorado which has never been modeled."

However, as I grew older, my rail interests began to expand both geographically and chronologically. As my interest in American History increased, I began to appreciate the Allegheny Portage Railroad and even participated in a day hike on its right-of-way. I made several trips out to East Broad Top and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Fall Spectaculars.

Eleven years ago, I attended a professional conference in Denver which was the first time as an adult I would spend time in Colorado. I arrived a couple of days before the conference started and drove around the Front Range and was hooked by Colorado's beauty and fascinating railroads. Two years later, I rode the Durango & Silverton and two years after that, I rode the Cumbres & Toltec. After several rides on these lines and reading rail books and magazine articles, I finally understood why so many fans find them appealing. I would rate the Cumbres & Toltec the most scenically spectacular train ride in the US.

While not everything about contemporary railroads is of interest to me, I still enjoy riding Amtrak whether it's the Northeast Corridor or the Southwest Chief and enjoy watching modern trains such as the parade of BNSF and UP freights on the Joint Line or Norfolk Southern freights over the Horse Shoe Curve. Additionally, my expanded interests also include rail transit.

I also enjoy rail sites which do not have trains such as rail-to-trails and old stations which may no longer be served by trains.

My point is that while we all have our preferences, being opened minded to different rail experiences increases one's enjoyment of the hobby.

Lastly, I feel that Trains magazine does a better job of covering my spectrum of interests than other rail magazines.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A "younger" fan's perpsective James Schlinger 07-09-2011 - 09:09
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective John West 07-09-2011 - 10:01
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective James Schlinger 07-09-2011 - 10:57
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Thomas T.T.E. 07-09-2011 - 12:38
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Espee99 07-09-2011 - 13:17
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective crmeatball 07-09-2011 - 13:46
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Drew Jacksich 07-09-2011 - 14:36
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective James Schlinger 07-09-2011 - 16:13
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective BOB R 07-09-2011 - 16:16
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Shortline Sammie 07-09-2011 - 19:42
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Fortunate Foamer 07-09-2011 - 20:42
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Ben Kletzer 07-09-2011 - 21:41
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Bruce Kelly 07-10-2011 - 15:39
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective James Schlinger 07-10-2011 - 18:59
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Mike Stimpson 07-11-2011 - 10:21
  Re: A "younger" fan's perpsective Ross Hall 07-11-2011 - 15:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com