Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel
Author: BOB R
Date: 01-12-2012 - 16:52

I took the Zephyr from Denver to Sacramento last summer. (I could have done CHI/SAC but didn't want to spend the extra day.) I took a roomette, which came with free meals, all of which I ate in the dining car with good company at every table (a good value as the meals are basic but pretty good, too). There was a shower down the hall which I didn't use this trip but it was there. In the past it's served me well.

The train ride was very pleasant. I had a reaction to elevation on my previous visit to Colorado Springs (7500') so was concerned about the Colorado summit at Fraser, but even at 8000' I took it in stride and hardly noticed. Donner was much lower. Sacramento arrival was seven hours late, but Denver departure was six hours late due to midwest flooding. So expect some delays. We had regained two hours of schedule but lost it at Winnemucca as train sat or crawled through several crew goat ropes.

I tipped the sleeping car steward $20/day (he earned it) and used the standard 15% for meals (in cash, I don't know how the crew divvys it up). That's what several books recommended. I didn't check luggage (carried one bag) but there's not a whole lot of room in the cheap sleeping accomodations for anything but PJs, wine and a book.

As far as ear pressure, I'm a retired Navy jet pilot and take Afrin for those occasions when it could be a problem. Didn't need it on the Zephyr.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel cnbob 01-12-2012 - 11:42
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel Gary 01-12-2012 - 15:33
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel Michael Mahoney 01-12-2012 - 15:46
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel BOB R 01-12-2012 - 16:52
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel Dragoman 01-12-2012 - 17:49
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel BOB R 01-13-2012 - 15:19
  Re: Ideas on Buffalo to Sacramento travel cnbob 01-15-2012 - 10:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com