Re: U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada!
Author: SP5103
Date: 02-03-2012 - 12:58

I'm not sure we actually "won" jobs back from Canada. Canada does have a little differnt monetary situation than the US - I think their costs are higher but so are the wages. With EMD losing so much of the North American market share to GE, the export market has become more important. In this "world economy", EMD is having to compete with China and other countries with lower labor costs for export orders.

I have heard that EMD's Muncie, Indiana plant is up and running. Progress Rail has several shops big enough to assemble locomotives, created to support building their gen-set line that doesn't seem to have taken off. Progress Rail had also bought a large rail services firm in Brazil. Look for much of the production to shift to either Brazil or Mexico. Of course Mexico could supply production for the US, and both Mexico and Brazil could build exports.

THe US seems to be busy exporting its technology (though fading fast), raw materials and agricultural products. I heard something the other day about how many US jobs are in the service industry. Evidently we are just going to sell hamburgers to each other, or work for the government.

Something perhaps more disturbing is that Caterpillar is steering marine customers away from upgrading their EMDs to new Caterpillar models instead. I am also hearing that many marine EMD engines are being replaced by MTU diesels. The MTU diesels (sold by Detroit Diesel here) is what was in the MPI Pacific Harbor Line rebuilds that are already going to Progress for Cats due to engine issues.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? SP5103 02-03-2012 - 09:35
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? SP5103 - story links 02-03-2012 - 09:38
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? Tie Plate 02-03-2012 - 10:30
  U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada! Marty Bernard 02-03-2012 - 12:34
  Re: U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada! SP5103 02-03-2012 - 12:58
  Re: U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada! curious 02-03-2012 - 16:59
  Re: U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada! Z-Train 02-05-2012 - 08:32
  Re: U.S. Labor Wins Back Jobs From Canada! SP5103 02-05-2012 - 09:10
  Re: Private sector professionals are paid more Z-Train 02-05-2012 - 19:45
  Re: Private sector professionals are paid more Mark 02-05-2012 - 21:15
  Re: Private sector professionals are paid more Z-Train 02-06-2012 - 17:11
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? Ellipsis 02-03-2012 - 12:49
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? Rich Hunn 02-03-2012 - 17:57
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? douglasm 02-03-2012 - 18:35
  Re: Caterpillar/Progress closing EMD London,Ontario plant? Todd 02-03-2012 - 20:31

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com