Re: HSR - Chicago
Author: Tom Farence
Date: 10-19-2012 - 19:28

WOW...this is progress? When I hired out on the Milwaukee Road's LaCrosse Division in engine service in the 60's our spped limit for passenger trains was 90 and 100 mph depending on what part of the 196 miles between Milwaukee and LaCrosse you were operating. Since almost all the Hoggers cheated by ten....do the math. My first qualifing trip as a Fireman on the Afternoon Hiawatha I remember going through Oconomowoc,WI. at 108mph and I remember grinning from ear to ear as that FP7 pounded from side to side and pounced its way west along that hand tamped, jointed rail. I also remember the old steam Hoggers we had on the diesels talking about how FAST they USED to go with the Atlantics and the Hudsons and 120mph was not uncommon. Remember....management back in those days encouraged violating the speed limits on a regular basis. It was not uncommon to get a message from the Chief DS when running late to "disregard the posted speed limits and operate train at a higher speed consistant with safty to regain the schedule." Oh...at Oconomow,WI. there were 18 grade crossings and only one had Griswalds(main street)...the Engineer grabbed the whistle chord at the east end of town and didn't let go until the west end....about two miles! WOW...I sure do miss those days!!!! Tom.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  HSR - Chicago Ozzie 10-19-2012 - 11:10
  Re: HSR - Chicago Tom Farence 10-19-2012 - 19:28
  Re: HSR - Chicago P. Kepler 10-19-2012 - 20:28
  Re: HSR - Chicago Mistertower 10-19-2012 - 20:48
  Re: HSR - Chicago Wayne Haswell 10-20-2012 - 12:52
  Re: HSR - Chicago Mistertower 10-20-2012 - 14:47
  Re: HSR - Chicago Ozzie 10-20-2012 - 17:28
  Re: HSR - Chicago Mistertower 10-20-2012 - 20:09
  Re: HSR - Chicago P. Kepler 10-21-2012 - 00:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com