Re: About the article
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 01-04-2013 - 12:32

Hmmm...well, I think the only change in my original post quoted by you would be to add the words "mulitple-layered localized beaurocratic" in front of the word 'politicos' so to refer to thier proposed new agnecy (is that some new entity we taxpayers will fund??), and thier suggestion that Caltrans is only focused on highways. That is complete bullshit, and indicates an ignorance of current established inter-agency agreements and long-term plans both in Southern and Northern California.

So, I still stand by my two points: No input by host railroads, and these folks' grammar that seems to suggest they could somehow improve service.

I ride that line from Emeryville to Fresno several times a month, using usally on 712, 716 or 718. Amtrak does a great job most of the time. Caltrans seems to own the equipment, Amtrak runs the trains and BNSF and UPRR dispatch. Most of the time, the trains are on time. There is significant freight traffic on this route (believe it or not) and many of the trains now are five cars instead of four. Most of the time, Stockton and Fresno are heavy with passengers, and there are many occasions where these trains run at capacity.

I don't see a poor operating attitude by Amtrak, Caltrans and the railroads. Also, when I fill out customer comment cards with my return address, I have usually received a courteous reply that addresses my concern. My comments usually center on train cleanliness, and occasionally on the food service. Both could use a little improvement on a few inconsistencies.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think the whole operation is being run as best as could be, given its funding allotment and unique operating plan. I chafe at politicians with unstated experience suggesting that they could make improvements. I am of the opinion that those politicians involved clearly did not indicate any realistic suggestions for improvements, nor did they make mention of the route's primary fault: that it's not a through connection to the next hub of local passenger service; Southern California. That's been a problem for years, and it's a difficult concern to be reckoned.

If a person were to look at the Amtrak California timetable, there is a huge network of combined bus/rail service serving much of California, not just good 'ol Stanislaus or Merced Counties. So when these clowns create their own new tax-fed empire, where will thier expereince come from? How will they relate to established opertaing plans and agreements with this substantial network currently operated? How do they expect cooperation with thier updated fantasy when it's met with reality?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Calif. Central Valley agencies confident in bid for Amtrak lines OPRRMS 01-03-2013 - 13:25
  Re: Calif. Central Valley agencies confident in bid for Amtrak lines Tony C 01-03-2013 - 14:44
  Re: Calif. Central Valley agencies confident in bid for Amtrak lines OPRRMS 01-03-2013 - 14:54
  Re: Calif. Central Valley agencies confident in bid for Amtrak lines Tony C 01-03-2013 - 14:56
  Re: Calif. Central Valley agencies confident in bid for Amtrak lines Tie Plate 01-03-2013 - 15:05
  Try this Tony Tie Plate 01-03-2013 - 15:06
  Re: Try this Tony Graham Buxton 01-03-2013 - 15:20
  Re: Try this Tony Tony C 01-03-2013 - 18:30
  Re: Try this Tony An AP Mystery 01-03-2013 - 20:50
  Re: About the article Severe Duty 01-04-2013 - 05:36
  Re: About the article Graham Buxton 01-04-2013 - 08:07
  Re: About the article Severe Duty 01-04-2013 - 12:32
  Re: About the article- BOB2 01-05-2013 - 08:07
  Re: About the article- Severe Duty 01-05-2013 - 09:09
  Re: About the article- Dr Zarkoff 01-05-2013 - 20:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com