What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores!
Author: Freedom Of Speech Defender
Date: 07-11-2013 - 13:23

A few days ago there was an interesting discussion thread on that "other" railfan-themed computer bulletin board that's headquartered in Santa Clarita, CA. Apparently, while the subject matter being discussed was "on topic," it managed to cover something that made the moderator uncomfortable and he deleted the entire thread. Before that happened, however, some of the discussion thread was preserved and it is reproduced here! Cool, huh?

Passenger Trains

Date: 07/08/13 12:31
People don't like what I said in an earlier post.
Author: up4466

On July 6th, I posted a response to a post regarding people whining about the service they got on a train. My post was to give these people a look at the average daily problems the On Board service people deal with. Well, apparently, someone did not like what I said and got the post removed. Why? I spoke the truth. People that buy a ticket on the train expect to be treated like kings or queens most of the time and when they are not treated the way they expect, they @#$%& and complain on here for the rest of the privileged to read. My post gave a few examples of the types of things that can happen on a normal day, not that most days on the train are normal. Please remember, these on board people (car attendants, lounge attendants, Parlor car attendants, chefs, dishwashers, waiters, and sleeper car attendants) are stuck on the train for the whole duration of the trip-sometimes 5-6 days at a time. And they have to eat, sleep, shower and fulfill their own needs during the limited time they have "off". I have seen some of these crews get as little as 2 hours to do all of those things. I have seen several crews decide to sleep on the train after it returned to a terminal for servicing and cleaning because the train was too late for them to go to a hotel and they would not have time to return for the next trip. They would not have gotten any sleep if they left the train, so they stayed on. I have witnessed the dirty, disgusting things that they have to deal with as well as the dangerous situations I have seen them in. Yeah, I know they signed up for this work, but do you think they deserve to be treated like this? Think about your job for a minute. If you had these same situations at your work place, would you be happy? I think not. These people are Union workers and have a contract they must abide by. You think Amtrak abides by the rules? No, unless it benefits the company only. Someone mentioned the "little blue book", the manual of standards that they must follow. If you can get a copy of one, take a week and read it. You will see just how one-sided it really is, especially when it is used against the employees. Yeah, there are rules that would help the worker, but Management will not agree to it, so the employees are left to defend themselves against the book. Very one sided to say the least. If my prior message offended anyone, tuff. I spoke the truth and nothing but the truth. I have worked these trains for over 9 years. Once I left for retirement (yes-I AM RETIRED)I have not missed it one bit. After 43 years on the railroad, I know what I am talking about. I am NOT an armchair railroader. I am (or was) the real deal. Now we will see if this one gets pulled again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: 07/08/13 12:48
Re: People don't like what I said in an earlier post.
Author: houstonguy2010

As someone who has posted many trip reports both good and bad I would like to respond. First of all I do not expect to be treated like a king. But I do expect a friendly greeting from my sleeper attendant. I expect my bed to be turned down and made up in the morning. I expect the attendant to not ask for tips over the intercom. I expect the attendant to follow the service guidelines as written in the blue service manual that he/she has received. I expect the servers in the diner to be polite and provide quality service. I expect my sleeper attendant to provide in room meal service if requested. I expect the restrooms in the sleeper to be cleaned as required by Amtrak service guidelines. I know several attendants who do all of the above with a smile. Those attendants make you feel like you are the only passenger in his/her car even when the car is full. Then you have the attendant who you do not see until the end of the trip and yes sadly there are more than a few of them.

If I book a hotel room at a Motel 6 all I expect is to check in and have a basic room for a night or two. Nothing else. But if I book a room at Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago I expect to be helped with my luggage, to have room service if requested. To have my bed made and restroom cleaned. And when I pay up to $1500.00 extra for a bedroom on the Empire Builder I expect quality service. Or on any sleeper for that matter. We are paying extra for a service and we dang sure deserve to receive it.

And as far as that "little blue book" is concerned there are several sleeper attendants who follow that little blue book with ease. They simply have the desire to provide the level of service that the little blue book tells them to do.

When I worked in the hotel industry I had to deal with many very wealthy people. Most were nice but some were not. Those who were not deserved the same level of service as those who were nice. The guest was our paycheck plain and simple. We needed to have as many guests as possible to insure our jobs. We were in the service industry and we knew it. To those Amtrak employees who follow the guidelines and give outstanding customer service I salute you. And to those who act like they would rather be elsewhere I suggest you find other employment and let someone who truly wants to create a memorable passenger experience a chance to do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: 07/08/13 13:00
Author: ClubCar

Well said houstonguy1210. Everyone deserves good service when he/she is paying for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: 07/08/13 14:10
Author: CA Sou MA Agent

Well, houstonguy2010, the reason you've come across some surly Amtrak on-board service employees is because Amtrak, like most of American industry over the last couple of decades, has been engaging in a perverted internal contest to see how much productivity it can wring out of its employees. The airlines are doing the same thing. Ever notice the big increase in surly flight attendants over the last couple of decades? Why? No mystery to me. The employer offers decreases in pay and an expectation of an increase in productivity. The workers are exhausted. There's a big turn-over rate although you'll notice that American industry hardly ever factors in the high cost of constantly training new people in their formula for conducting business. They make sure it's a hidden cost. "Creative bookkeeping."

Did you know that Superliner sleeping cars have forty-four beds?

Did you know that when those cars were first delivered, they were staffed with TWO attendants per car?

It didn't take very long for the bean counters to lop off that second position and just expect the remaining worker to do the work of TWO people. And they'd better be courteous and always have a smile on their face. The coffee had better be fresh and their uniform should be flawless in appearance. Or else. The floggings will continue until compliance is achieved.

As previously mentioned, it's not just Amtrak. Check out this recent multi-part LA TIMES story by Alana Semuels, THE TOUGHER WORKPLACE that first appeared in the April 07, 2013 edition:

[www.latimes.com]

But, fear not, houstonguy2010. I would imagine that in the next decade or less, intense lobbying efforts by Corporate America will see to it that U.S. labor laws are watered down and we can start bringing in tens of thousands of foreign workers on "temporary" **wink! wink!** work visas who are used to deplorable working conditions for depressed wages. This is what's made the cruise ship industry the "success" that it is --- foreign workers willing to work like slaves for measly wages. And they'll serve you on your Superliner sleeper with a smile on their face. Because working on a Superliner sleeper isn't nearly as bad as working in a sweat shop in China assembling smart phones. The Amtrak job would be a REAL step up in advancement.

Soon, the position of an Amtrak on-board service employee will join that ever-growing list of "jobs that Americans won't do," allowing foreigners to quickly fill the vacuum and, equally as fast, register to vote as Democrats!

And, yes, up4466, this thread will probably disappear, too, because it (1.) covers something that is too much of a political "hot potato", (2.) ruffles too many feathers, (3.) makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable and, (4.) doesn't cover the topic of trains thoroughly enough, even though Amtrak has been mentioned numerous times.

I'll send you a personal copy for posterity.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Freedom Of Speech Defender 07-11-2013 - 13:23
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Fred 07-11-2013 - 15:07
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Resident Psychic 07-11-2013 - 15:27
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! fred 07-11-2013 - 15:38
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! OPRRMS 07-11-2013 - 16:41
  I don't get it . . . Spectator 07-11-2013 - 16:52
  Re: I don't get it . . . Fred 07-11-2013 - 17:16
  Re: I don't get it . . . Spectator 07-11-2013 - 17:51
  Re: I don't get it . . . mook 07-11-2013 - 18:07
  Re: I don't get it . . . hmmm 07-11-2013 - 18:44
  Re: I don't get it . . . 123 07-11-2013 - 18:47
  Re: I don't get it . . .Todd Clark and David Curlee sponser these sites Carol L. Voss 07-11-2013 - 19:05
  Perplexed Spectator 07-12-2013 - 14:39
  Re: Perplexed Bobster 07-13-2013 - 07:18
  Re: Perplexed Chimera 07-13-2013 - 09:07
  Re: Perplexed Bobster 07-13-2013 - 12:42
  Re: I don't get it . . . Zephyrette 07-11-2013 - 19:20
  Re: I don't get it . . . AZ Kidd 07-11-2013 - 20:42
  Re: I don't get it . . . Zephyr diner crews Zephyrette 07-12-2013 - 00:03
  Re: I don't get it . . . Zephyr diner crews The Unprofessional Iconoclast 07-12-2013 - 11:52
  Re: I don't get it . . . Zephyr diner crews Zephyrette 07-12-2013 - 22:42
  Re: I don't get it . . . david vartanoff 07-11-2013 - 19:22
  Re: I don't get it . . . smitty195 07-11-2013 - 21:48
  What happened to conductors with courage? SP8253 07-12-2013 - 04:10
  Re: What happened to conductors with courage? The Unprofessional Iconoclast 07-12-2013 - 12:07
  Re: What happened to conductors with courage? WAF 07-12-2013 - 14:03
  Re: Train Chiefs Harley 07-12-2013 - 14:14
  Courage? It dies under peer pressure Fred 07-12-2013 - 15:52
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! KI6WDX 07-12-2013 - 09:28
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Bernie 07-12-2013 - 10:09
  But What Warranted The Deletion Of The Thread? The Unprofessional Iconoclast 07-12-2013 - 12:02
  Re: But What Warranted The Deletion Of The Thread? Margaret (SP) fan 07-12-2013 - 16:51
  Service quality Ernest H. Robl 07-12-2013 - 19:06
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Get Real 07-13-2013 - 17:37
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Spectator 07-13-2013 - 22:15
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Agent 99 07-14-2013 - 11:03
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! MG42 07-15-2013 - 17:59
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Or... 07-15-2013 - 20:31
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Nigel Gresley, Esq. 07-16-2013 - 13:55
  Re: What "Tee Cee" Taketh Away, Altamont Press Restores! Fred 07-16-2013 - 20:08
  Imitation As A Form of Flattery CleeIB's Lover 07-17-2013 - 00:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com