Re: Hardwick's Hardware--Seattle
Author: KRK
Date: 12-30-2013 - 08:42

With all the talk about OSH, try THIS PLACE in Seattle. George Andrews would get lost in this place! (grin)
Hardwick's Hardware has been in business in Seattle for eighty-one years !! It is owned by "Dean Hardwick", one of several generations down the family tree keeping the place live and kicking! It is not just a hardware store--it is also a "Swap Shop" which Orchard Supply is not.. If YOU have something they like, they'll buy it from you or trade something else!

You can get "lost" in the place just like San Jose's Winchester House if you're not careful.
Unfortunately, they have a reputation of having a rude staff. But anyway, here is a little sample of what goes on it that great old store:

""Made the pilgrimage today , WOW!!! That's a lot of tools and well other stuff!!

Note:(They have more hand and machine tools than any other hardware store in the Pacific Northwest. Stuff you haven't seen since the 1950's!!)

The aisles are PACKED in and packed up, almost makes a guy dizzy, lots of "Odd" steps , ramps , tunnels, floor materiel changes, wood , concrete, carpet, scabbed on flooring over flooring's, etc. A trip hazard / litigation risk I'd say.

Neat ole place, I wouldn't change a thing!

The bald guy opened not one but two cases for me, he was nice about it as well. Even made some small talk.

And believe it or not, (I found it hard to believe with the amount of stuff they stock that I could have picked " the last one" of any thing I might have selected), one of the two items I purchased was the last one on the shelf, a Henry Taylor #8 sweep gouge!

The younger guy with the Mohawk was at the checkout till and the guy in front of me confused him with a cash transaction, the cost was $7.27, the guy gave him $10.30 in cash, it took a couple of tries and quite a bit of discussion between the two to get it "right" , which they never really did, the teller gave him back first $7.27, Mr. consumer said "That's not right!" So he then took the $5.00 back and wanted that to be "right". They "settled" on $2.03 as close enough, I think. Mr. Consumer asked if teller guy was "OK, with that?", he worked hard at NOT pissing the teller kid off, maybe due to the "street cred" the in house staff seems to have?

Highly recommended experience, parking wasn't bad either. Right out front, on the street. I wonder IF I was suppose to pay for parking , it was a Sat, maybe about 12:00, I didn't, if I was suppose to!""

Several years ago, my wife and I found a five lamp chandelier at Hardwick's for use in our kitchen at home, hanging over the kitchen table. It was all brass in appearance and the five glass shades made it beautiful in appearance.. We bought it and I installed it myself!! Still enjoying it to this day! Now please realize we could have easily paid $100- $175 for a like item at one of the big chain stores. However, Hardwick's sold that beauty to us for the whopping price of $ 19.95 plus tax !! I kid you not!!

The only thinbg that would sadden Ms. Voss would be the fact that they don't have train calendars! Maybe I need to speak to Dean Hardwick about that !! Cheers!

KRK

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  OSH calendar update Carol; L. Voss 12-28-2013 - 18:36
  Re: OSH calendar update Bill 12-28-2013 - 20:27
  Re: OSH calendar update third rail 12-28-2013 - 21:27
  Re: OSH calendar update Rich Hunn 12-29-2013 - 09:41
  Re: OSH calendar update--and Lowe's as owner Carol L. Voss 12-29-2013 - 11:03
  Re: OSH calendar update--and Lowe's as owner Torrance 12-29-2013 - 12:36
  Re: OSH calendar update--and Lowe's as owner mook 12-29-2013 - 20:54
  Re: OSH calendar update--and Lowe's as owner George Andrews 12-29-2013 - 21:29
  Re: OSH calendar update--and Lowe's as owner JOHN McGaugh 12-30-2013 - 06:57
  Re: Hardwick's Hardware--Seattle KRK 12-30-2013 - 08:42
  Re: Hardwick's Hardware--Seattle Cprr 12-30-2013 - 20:49
  Re: how about you in the Portland area??? Carol L. Voss 12-30-2013 - 21:54
  Re: how about you in the Portland area??? Tony Johnson 12-31-2013 - 10:56
  Re: how about you in the Portland area??? brains 01-01-2014 - 18:15
  Re: how about you in the Portland area??? jdb 12-31-2013 - 14:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com