Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3
Author: Mark D.
Date: 03-29-2008 - 14:56

Arlen
Nice reply, and thanks. I honestly didn't mean to come across as critical of the magazine. Only to put things into perspective. While an excellent work, I remain unconvinced that it will make much if any difference in the world of the railfans.
For example, in the magazine there is an excellent article on whether to replace or rebuild a steam locomotive boiler. Two of the premier locomotive boiler people in the country are interviewed and quoted for this article.
With the magazine out now and available to anyone who cares to look at it, there is a thread on a well known forum about whether to rebuild or replace. Wouldn't ya' know it, the opinions run through the entire spectrum, and pretty much have little or no relationship to what is available in the magazine to anyone. Of course, these people might not have had the chance to read it. And that's pretty much my point. Will they ever read it? And if they do, will they actually understand what they're reading? And more to the point, what percentage of the steam railfan population will actually spend the money and make the effort to obtain a copy?
I'm thinking that while it's a great thing to have, and have said so above, and it's a great thing for railfans to hang onto for future reference, and have said so above, it is still not really going to make much difference overall. And that is too bad.

The magazine is great. I think it wouldn't have happened without Jim Wrinn's involvement. I have also noticed that TRAINS magazine has become much more interesting over the past months that he's been there. Not just with regard to steam, but the entire magazine seems to have improved.
I was about to drop it, but changed my mind when I noticed the changes.

The "errors" I mentioned are very minor, and actually in most cases are either just cases of viewpoint, or of omission.
For instance, regarding the Soo Line 2719, no mention was made (that I saw) of the wreck it had back in about 1999 on the W.C. that tore open the boiler and ripped off an air pump and damaged a driver that a new one had to be fabricated. This could have been just because it isn't something anyone wants to keep in the public eye. Or some other reason. However, it is an important event in the after-restoration life of that engine.
Yet, I was heartened to see photo's of that one piston rod being torch cut. After that happened, there were some flame attacks on internet forums to people who had the audacity to mention that a piston rod had been cut. The foamers were going on about how that would never be done, how they saw the engine and "all the rods are in place" etc. etc.
I had seen the engine, and knew differently. Well, let those who will not believe read the magazine.
Another thing I sort of disagreed with was the definitions of "Superpower"
This has gotten long enough that I don't feel like going into that. Gotta' get back to work.
Mark D.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Arlen Sheldrake 03-27-2008 - 11:28
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Mark D. 03-27-2008 - 14:09
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 E 03-27-2008 - 14:25
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Jim Fitzgerald 03-27-2008 - 14:34
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Lincoln Penn 03-27-2008 - 14:31
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Mark D. 03-28-2008 - 07:48
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Mark D. 03-28-2008 - 07:59
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Dmac844 03-28-2008 - 09:31
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Arlen Sheldrake 03-28-2008 - 13:21
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Mark D. 03-29-2008 - 14:56
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Lincoln Penn 04-02-2008 - 10:33
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Smokebox 04-02-2008 - 15:29
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Lincoln Penn 04-02-2008 - 17:02
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Q 04-02-2008 - 21:59
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 older 04-03-2008 - 03:56
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Smokebox 04-03-2008 - 05:25
  Re: Steam Today, TRAINS special issue #3 Earl Pitts 04-03-2008 - 20:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com