Re: Amtrak
Author: mook
Date: 10-07-2015 - 10:20

Anybody with a necktie and a sincere-looking face can be an "expert" on TV. Sometimes, you even get paid for it, but not if it's otherwise your job.

In an early job, I was the spokesdweeb in a couple of cases - put on the tie, look at the camera, provide the scripted answers, and since I was low-level it was deniable and I was expendable. We all knew what was going on.

If I understand PTC correctly, it is intended to prevent train-on-train collisions. That's probably where the 2% figure comes from. They're rare but are big news (usually with good reason) when they happen; it's worth spending money to avoid them, and PTC will ultimately, I think, be seen as an improvement in the state of the art for that. A very expensive one, true.

PTC might be able to prevent or reduce the intensity of some grade-crossing collisions, if the grade crossings are integrated with PTC and somebody fouls the crossing while the train still is far enough away to slow considerably or stop. A downside is, perhaps, an inability to maintain schedule speed and an uncomfortable ride where there are a lot of momentary PTC invocations as drivers cut crossings too close. Rather than spend some multiple billion$ on attempting to make that work, it might be better for railroads to toss a little money into the pot for additional grade separations.

PTC will never help with collisions due to something (like a rockslide or washout or big fallen tree at a location that had no previous indication that some sort of monitoring was needed) that doesn't affect the signaling system, nor will it help with accidents caused by mechanical failure on the train itself.

PTC could improve railroad operations if it is used for more than just a fancy ATS overlay on existing signals. There have been many discussions of that. But it would take more time, more money, and major clout with FRA to make it happen so I don't expect to see it much, if at all, in the near future. Most likely, such a change-up of PTC use would go with engineer-only or even unmanned (automatic or remote control) trains.

Since Amtrak carries people, it rightly has greater responsibilities for having all feasible safety gear installed and working. But the infrastructure is not under their control in most places - it's the responsibility of the railroad that Amtrak runs on.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Amtrak Outsider 10-05-2015 - 12:41
  Vermonter Derailment - A decidedly non Fox News source Pdxrailtransit 10-05-2015 - 13:04
  Re: Amtrak lots of factual coverage, what's the problem? BOB2 10-05-2015 - 13:18
  Re: Amtrak lots of factual coverage, what's the problem? Outsider 10-05-2015 - 13:25
  Re: Amtrak lots of factual coverage, what's the problem? crmeatball 10-05-2015 - 14:42
  Re: Amtrak lots of factual coverage, what's the problem? Mike Swanson 10-05-2015 - 19:30
  Re: Amtrak Sgt. Joe Friday 10-05-2015 - 16:13
  Re: Amtrak Mike Swanson 10-05-2015 - 19:56
  Re: Amtrak Hawk 10-06-2015 - 09:33
  Re: Amtrak SP5103 10-07-2015 - 09:37
  Re: Amtrak mook 10-07-2015 - 10:20
  Re: Amtrak - PTC mook 10-07-2015 - 10:39
  Re: Amtrak - PTC mook 10-07-2015 - 11:04
  Re: PTC is now to prevent acts of nature???? BOB2 10-07-2015 - 10:30
  Re: PTC is now to prevent acts of nature???? SP5103 10-07-2015 - 10:52
  Re: PTC is now to prevent acts of nature???? Dr Zarkoff 10-07-2015 - 19:49
  Re: PTC is now to prevent acts of nature???? mook 10-07-2015 - 10:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com