Re: Sacramento Northern 712 and other questions
Author: Eugene Vicknair
Date: 08-12-2016 - 17:15

Okay, I'll answer as best as I can considering:
- I am a member of the FRRS Board of Directors
- I am NOT a diesel mechanic
- I am the primary person who spent 5 years trying to find a museum to take SP 4450
- I assisted in both the move of SN 712 from RVJ and the move of SP 4450 from Hunters Point

The assessment of SN 712's condition is fairly accurate from my non mechanic understanding. She needs engine work and the traction motor plus other items, including batteries. We HAVE acquired a traction motor for her, but our derrick, which is required for the change out, is under repair.

We have several engines needing traction motor swaps, so the plan is, once the derrick is back in full and safe operation, to perform the swaps together (we have about 6 traction motors needing changing).

The 712 is regularly cleaned and she's been waxed and her paint touched up at least twice since we received her. She has also been used DIC for display trains, the most recent being the UP Historical Society visit about a week ago, when she was used on a photo freight along with WP 707.

The 712 is in no danger of ever being scrapped. We consider her a major part of the collection, being one of the final SN locomotives. Also, she will be maintained in her SN identity. Plans are in the works to paint SN caboose 1642 in the green and yellow scheme it wore during 712's service and have them as a pair. SN 712 is regularly toured by visitors and pairing her with the 1642 would make a great display.

The 712 is slated to be returned to operation, but we have other locomotives slotted ahead of her. One item people are often not aware of is that our core Run A Locomotive fleet always has top priority for repairs. They make us much of our income, so they go first if repairs are needed. Right now, we are having work done on US Army H-12-44 1857, SP GP9 2873 and we just finished work on WP GP7 707. Also WP F7A 917 is receiving on going restoration work. This is on top of our restoration of WP 0-6-0 165 and work on several cabooses for our caboose train. The hope is when the 712 gets back into operation, it will be as part of our RAL fleet, at least for a while, so folks can experience this engine hands on.

She's also a personal favorite of mine.

By the way: we have an equipment sponsorship program if someone wants to adopt a locomotive or car. The SN 712 is in our Group 4, which means the initial donation to sponsor is $15,000, then the annual sponsorship is $1,500. A business, and individual or a group of individuals are welcome to adopt the engine and contribute to it. The initial donation would return her to operation and the annual would ensure her "care and feeding" including cosmetic work and running repairs. Note, she received historic information plaques this year detailing her history.

As for the 4450, I personally spent huge numbers of hours trying to find a home for her. And I was not the only one. The statement that she was in terrible shape when we got her was not an exaggeration. She had no traction motors, the prime mover was a mess and other parts had been removed, not to mention a lot of rust. Only two museums ever expressed interest. One said they would take her is we paid all expenses to made her interchange worthy and deliver her to their gate. The other, in Arizona, wanted the engine and we were going to let it go for nothing. They just had to move her. However, the alignment control coupler rule came into effect and they learned it would cost them some $20,000 or so to convert the engine and move it. They could not justify that expense. We offered for people to adopt the engine, but no one ever donated to it. (I think one person might have donated $100 for paint, that is all I recall.)

We did not approach scrapping the engine gleefully or maliciously. It was a business decision and one taken regretfully. Even a cosmetic restoration would have been expensive and we had other equipment that needed our care more. We hoped another museum would take her, but none could or would. So, it was allow the engine to decay more or salvage what we could to preserve other equipment. It was a difficult choice and I know some people will eternally hate us for it. We tried everything we could to find her another home.

Someone mentioned Railfan Photo Day. Those were massive commitments to pull off and they had become a financial burden. We have been exploring ways to bring them back as they were / are great events. We almost had one two years ago, but other events took priority.

We are looking to expand our trackage and that will also help as it takes a lot of space to run the Photo event the way we used to. We are looking to bring them back and if someone would like to volunteer to coordinate one, please let me know. We have done scaled down versions for special events (again, the most recent being for the UPHS event a couple weeks ago).

To HUTCH 7.62, I'm sorry you are disappointed with us. We have a lot of volunteers, old and new, who are dedicating much effort toward moving the FRRS forward and trying to keep on top of everything. We are a LARGE museum: over 150 piece currently. It takes a ton of work. We won't always make decisions everyone agrees with, but we are trying to do our absolute best.

If you find your are going to be near Portola, I will extend an offer to meet you at the museum (with some warning, I run a design and engineering company in Fremont and I can only make it there some weekends) and will be more than willing to sit down with you and discuss any concerns / issues / etc. you have. I will not BS you on decisions or challenges we have had and continue to have. But I can hopefully show you progress, which is looking to keep improving.

We have now an excellent relationship with the city and county, probably the best we have ever had, and some big plans are moving forward after years of discussion. They won't happen quick, but keep watching.

Eugene Vicknair
FRRS member since 1985
eugene.vicknair@gmail.com

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Sacramento Northern 712 HUTCH 7.62 08-08-2016 - 18:13
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Whiner Police 08-08-2016 - 19:30
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 HUTCH 7.62 08-08-2016 - 20:18
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Whiner Police 08-08-2016 - 20:36
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Bill 08-09-2016 - 08:32
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 E9A 08-08-2016 - 20:38
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Shortline Sammie 08-08-2016 - 21:15
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 CPRR 08-08-2016 - 21:44
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Dr Zarkoff 08-08-2016 - 22:04
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Whiner Police 08-08-2016 - 22:05
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 4450 08-08-2016 - 22:21
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 SP 4450 "HUFF" 08-09-2016 - 20:57
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 E9A 08-09-2016 - 21:10
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 Brasspounder 08-10-2016 - 22:50
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 HUTCH 7.62 08-11-2016 - 08:50
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 s 08-11-2016 - 10:00
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 and other questions Eugene Vicknair 08-12-2016 - 17:15
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 on photo freight Eugene Vicknair 08-12-2016 - 17:31
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 and other questions Dr Zarkoff 08-12-2016 - 22:52
  Re: Sacramento Northern 712 and other questions Eugene Vicknair 08-13-2016 - 11:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com