Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service
Author: mook
Date: 09-11-2016 - 16:12

I agree that it was designed as a boondoggle, and we got what we (collectively, barely) voted for. A few good transit-oriented projects came out of it, which I've said before was probably the original plan: slather on the glitz to get some rail transit money, and hope that the impossible mandates result in the rest never being actually spent.

The challenge in the Real World is now to figure out what can be salvaged. At least some of the Valley line is sunk cost - it's built or will be based on contracts already let. So how much money will be left if somehow the gravy train can be derailed at what's already committed? Arguably, though, if reality sets in and CAHSR evaporates, the HSR-related bonds and federal money spent on the aborted piece might have to be paid back from Cap & Trade funds (net of whatever might be realized by adaptive re-use of the parts that are built) ... in which case nothing will happen until well after most of us are dead and the Evil Thomas types will win.

I don't have to be "professional" about HSR any more - I'm not getting paid for it. I also don't want to be "professional" if it means chewing the same old fat about how we got here and who's at fault. I would prefer to accept what's happened then think about ways to change and move on with something better - like your suggestions for LA-Palmdale alternatives that work. After all, did anybody REALLY think $10B was enough for more than planning and a test track in the Valley given excessive involvement by consultants and no accountable management agency? It's only what was spent on one bridge in the Bay Area (yes, we and The Press have chewed on that one pretty well, too)! I'm just happy that we got a few useful things like some BART work and Caltrain electrification out of the whole mess. Now what can be done for the future?

Let's start a new thread for the HSR stuff if you want to ruminate further as it has nothing to do with the new Siemens locomotive ... which is quite nice, really, and appears to be coming in on time and on budget for everybody (not just Brightline) who ordered them. Wish we could say as much for the cars that the state services need to go with their Siemens locos. Brightline was smart when it ordered the whole package from Siemems, but then they're private, not a political organization that has to spread money around for social purposes.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service J 09-09-2016 - 04:01
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service AZebra 09-09-2016 - 11:17
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service Edward 09-09-2016 - 12:19
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service Max Wyss 09-09-2016 - 13:09
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service AZebra 09-09-2016 - 15:08
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service Eric Cartmann 09-10-2016 - 09:56
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service BOB2 09-10-2016 - 10:40
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service Eric Cartmann 09-10-2016 - 11:46
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service mook 09-10-2016 - 18:47
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service BOB2 09-11-2016 - 10:11
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service mook 09-11-2016 - 16:12
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service AZebra 09-11-2016 - 22:24
  Re: New Siemens Locomotive for Florida Brightline Service mook 09-12-2016 - 10:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com