Re: Save time "and" more trains? But, really back to the accident....
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-22-2017 - 22:04

It's about benefits as an investment, this project allows for more trains "and" travel time/operating savings, as it does both. And, both have a cost benefit ratio, and they are both excellent objectives, with real pay offs.

It isn't really a question of walk "or" chew gum, is it?

Most folks would expect that you could at least try to do both. The project was designed to do both..... More trains is okay, right? But, that time and cost savings, for operators (aka taxpayers?) and the passengers, are somehow not a good thing....? Why exactly?

I am more interested in the lack of information about the use of dynamic braking, and a report that may indicate that they may have been using some kind of "braking", but had not plugged it. But, may have, in the reported comment, purportedly by the hogger, about speed, 6 seconds before the final "oh crap" moment, only then realized that they were going a little fast........

I suspect these trains handle pretty well, so I'd have expected to already have initiated an application, or widened back on dynamics, and started my speed reduction way before I was 6 seconds away, at 78 mph, from a 30 mph. restriction. The latest very limited update from the NTSB raises more questions than it really answers.

Although distraction is one reason for losing situational awareness. Another is handling the train at that speed, you initiate an action, you expect a result, nothing happens, and you've traveled a good ways already, before you notices that it ain't doing what you want it to do...... Without immediate action to correct or remedy the situation, you will very quickly also run out of time to take effective action to bring that train speed down, and you are past the "oh crap" point of no return.

When things don't respond as expected, or when you are confronted with a "new reality", there is often a time lag, or "delay" in assessing that new "reality". This is not unlike what happened to "Sully" and his copilot, over NY.... Unlike Sully, there was no time to recover, and only a freeway, and not a river, to "land" it on.......

I am kind of impressed with the crashworthiness of the new Siemens engine though, it's likely totaled, but the crew in it actually survived that.....

More information on train operating/mechanical status, use of braking, dynamics, and what events occurred in the cab leading up to the point of "no return", are still lacking in any detail .... As I said earlier, I think that the interviews are also going to be real interesting on this one.

Distraction is certainly on the table.....but we really know almost nothing real about how they were operating, the events and actions taken "upstream" from the point of the derailment, or of any information on how the equipment and systems were performing.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? ke6qr 12-21-2017 - 22:02
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? OPRRMS 12-21-2017 - 22:59
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? Graham Buxton 12-22-2017 - 05:48
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? Consensus 12-22-2017 - 12:15
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? DCA 12-22-2017 - 13:56
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? For "only" 10 minutes BOB2 12-22-2017 - 14:08
  yes 10 minutes AND more trains!!!! Arlen Sheldrake 12-22-2017 - 15:45
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? BOB R 12-22-2017 - 15:47
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? BN Oly 12-22-2017 - 17:30
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? ex-BN 12-22-2017 - 20:50
  Re: History of the new Bypass line in Tacoma? Steve Carter 12-22-2017 - 20:53
  Re: Save time "and" more trains? But, really back to the accident.... BOB2 12-22-2017 - 22:04
  Re: Save time "and" more trains? But, really back to the accident.... Dilbert 12-22-2017 - 22:17
  Re: Save time "and" more trains? But, really back to the accident.... ex-BN 12-22-2017 - 22:41
  more trains s/b the focus Arlen Sheldrake 12-22-2017 - 22:20
  Re: more trains s/b the focus -Oh Stupid Me? BOB2 12-22-2017 - 23:48
  Re: more trains s/b the focus Erik H. 12-23-2017 - 18:22
  Re: more trains s/b the focus Steve Carter 12-23-2017 - 19:37
  Re: Return of what Federal funds by what deadline? Pure BS BOB2 12-23-2017 - 21:27
  Re: Return of what Federal funds by what deadline? Pure BS Steve Carter 12-24-2017 - 12:00
  Re: Return of what Federal funds by what deadline? Once Again, Pure BS BOB2 12-24-2017 - 15:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com