Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile.
Author: david vartanoff
Date: 09-22-2018 - 14:36

About cars/highways; if you believe electric AVs are actually on the horizon for the near term,then the picture might be, take the AV to the HSR, pick up a different AV at your destination. In that context, providing more auto throughput--which we know induces demand--is not a useful investment. Note here that I don't consider cars as 'evil' per se, so much as inefficient for repetitive trips. Obviously not everyone of us can arrange quick commutes on transit--be it to an office or a factory--but certainly the thousands who cross the Bay Bridge (my local example) are NOT all people who need those cars all day to circulate in SF--most simply park. (And FWIW, when I was selling books for Random House in NYC half a century ago,there were NO bookstores worth calling on, not immediately accessible by subway, or a quick bus ride from the nearest subway station. Driving and then parking, particularly in Manhattan, OTOH was insane.
Yesterday, I ended up on BART leaving Civic Center just after 5PM--i.e. height of rush hour. While I was one of many standees, the 9 car train was NOT crush loaded. Another transbay tube and we will have enough capacity for the jobs in the offices in the CBD AND all of the other reasons to commute.
Thus, if considering increasing travel from the LA basin to Las Vegas, in my view, real HSR with the necessary feeder routes is where the money should go rather than more acres of tarmac.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 BOB2 09-19-2018 - 08:55
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 david vartanoff 09-19-2018 - 09:28
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. BOB2 09-19-2018 - 10:32
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. on the other hand 09-19-2018 - 17:22
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-.Aint' no crossings and no I have not much use for mostt of the very poorly done "road diets"... BOB2 09-19-2018 - 18:51
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:23
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:27
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Mack E. Avelli 09-19-2018 - 21:56
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Commenter 09-20-2018 - 10:30
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. corrector 09-20-2018 - 10:48
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:14
  Palmdale versus Cajon option The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:21
  Re: Palmdale versus Cajon option-All it takes is money..... BOB2 09-20-2018 - 11:58
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. david vartanoff 09-22-2018 - 14:36
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... BOB2 09-22-2018 - 19:58
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... Ghost of Mook 09-22-2018 - 21:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com