Re: I've been a TRB "friend" for many years... But never did publish with them....
Author: BOB2
Date: 01-06-2024 - 09:55

FUD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Real BOB2 could probably make some useful
> contributions, but they're not forming a research
> committee. They're looking for people actually
> working for those agencies now.
>
> If (anybody, but especially BOB2) is interested in
> making contributions to transportation research,
> TRB has lots of committees that welcome "friends"
> who don't currently work in transportation-related
> jobs (but once did). Mostly university-type stuff,
> but occasionally interesting. Voting members have
> to be currently working for, and are nominated by,
> member agencies, but "friends" can help, and can
> register to do peer review on research papers. And
> of course you get all the junk email regarding the
> annual TRB conference (never been to that, even
> when I was working; in DC, too big, much much too
> expensive, and when I was working would have
> required the Governor's approval even if the state
> didn't pay for anything).

I done did that one already...

I've been to the NAS headquarters in DC as a "friend" to offer input on the research programs several times. And have made a number of professional presentataions at about a dozen or so, various TRB conferences (HOV, Commuter Rail, ITS transit apps.)... Even got out of country travel to a TRB conference in Canada, held jointly with the Canadian's, on HOV systems and arterial bus lanes.

As to exclusive bus lanes (done very well and based on real needs and benefits in Ottawa).
very few of these which we are building today in the LA County (planning school "fad of the week" warning- "Bob,they are just like LRT with exclusive ROW" "NOT!"), are warranted based for the low operational bus volumes, or any liklihood of any actual travel time savings for the buses on the routes MTA has chosen.

I had a colleague who used to say you predict when a blizzard would hit Washington DC, based upon the week in January that they hold the Annual TRB Meeting there... Some folks would even be foreced to use Amtrak to get to TRB in the NEC, when diverted to other airports...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  STB Seeks to Fill Vacancies on the Passenger Rail Advisory Committee El Gringo 01-05-2024 - 21:16
  Re: STB Seeks to Fill Vacancies on the Passenger Rail Advisory Committee Capitan 01-05-2024 - 21:47
  Re: STB Seeks to Fill Vacancies on the Passenger Rail Advisory Committee? Nope.... BOB2 01-06-2024 - 01:00
  Re: STB Seeks to Fill Vacancies on the Passenger Rail Advisory Committee? Nope.... El Gringo 01-06-2024 - 19:52
  Re: STB Seeks to Fill Vacancies on the Passenger Rail Advisory Committee FUD 01-06-2024 - 08:58
  Re: I've been a TRB "friend" for many years... But never did publish with them.... BOB2 01-06-2024 - 09:55
  Re: I've been a TRB "friend" for many years... But never did publish with them.... FUD 01-06-2024 - 13:35
  May I Suggest The Most Fully Qualified Candidate? BOB420 01-07-2024 - 18:21
  Re: May I Suggest The Most Fully Qualified Candidate? El Trolio 01-07-2024 - 20:29
  Will Angriest Joe appoint Angry Joe? How many times will the record be struck bcuz Professional Amtrak keeps saying Airline Boy and Dumbbutt? Road trip! 01-08-2024 - 12:48
  Re: Will Angriest Joe appoint Angry Joe? How many times will the record be struck bcuz Professional Amtrak keeps saying Airline Boy and Dumbbutt? Dirtpebble 01-08-2024 - 15:22
  Re: Will Angriest Joe appoint Angry Joe? How many times will the record be struck bcuz Professional Amtrak keeps saying Airline Boy and Dumbbutt? El Trolio 01-09-2024 - 12:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com