Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike."
Author: David R. Busse
Date: 07-26-2012 - 18:32

The following email came today and it is not good. After years of jacking up rates and providing less-than-stellar guest services, Montana's Izaak Walton Inn has finally forced a regular group of visiting railfans to look elsewhere for their annual October get-together.

ALTA-MONT RAIL PHOTOGRAPHERS WEEKEND-CANCELLED

After 31 years of hosting this event, Larry and I are sad to announce that there will not be a 32nd ALTA-MONT Railfan Photographer weekend. Yesterday we were presented with a contract by the Izaak Walton Inn’s new marketing manager that radically changed the cost structure of what we had been successfully doing these past 31 years. Our handshake arrangement with the hotel has now been replaced with a formal document that puts a financial burden on Larry and I that we are not prepared to accept.

The most egregious changes were:

A 350% increaseto the cost of renting the Signal Room (slide show area) for the weekend.

A requirement that the hotel now staff their bartender in the Signal Room for all three nights, with increased beverage costs plus an 18% service charge added to our tab for this “service” we did not ask for or require.

A requirement that Larry and I reimburse the hotel for damages caused by a reduction in the size of the meeting/attendance and food and beverage service if there are any cancellations from our group after the hotel's August 17 cut-off date.

We know some of you have already made travel arrangements to attend this year’s event and we apologize for this inconvenience. Those who have already made reservations with the hotel should now phone 406-888-5700 immediately and cancel them so you can obtain a full refund of your deposit.

Larry and I are going to look at some new ideas to continue this event, including going to alternate years, moving the location around to venues in Canada or the US, and asking for help from the Group to find a new location and co-host for that location. (Like the WGRF group now does). There is a core of us that have enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship developed these past 31 years and would like to see that endure. If you have some suggestions please contact either of us.

Richard Yaremko LarryZuetschel
250-743-6570 406-439-9429
arwye@shaw.ca dlarryz@bresnan.net

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." David R. Busse 07-26-2012 - 18:32
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Wes Barston 07-26-2012 - 18:44
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Classification Light 07-26-2012 - 19:23
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Great Northern got my goat 07-26-2012 - 20:05
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Espee99 07-26-2012 - 22:29
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Dale Jones 07-27-2012 - 05:15
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Jack S 07-27-2012 - 09:10
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Bruce Kelly 07-27-2012 - 20:57
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." P. Kepler 07-27-2012 - 20:58
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Kyle Brehm 07-28-2012 - 09:23
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." George Andrews 07-28-2012 - 12:24
  Re: Izaak Walton Inn tells railfan group to "take a hike." Tom Moungovan 07-29-2012 - 09:54
  My original post was misleading. David R. Busse 07-29-2012 - 14:22
  Re: My original post was misleading. Paul Birkholz 07-29-2012 - 14:37
  Re: Well, gee, David... Severe Duty 07-30-2012 - 02:33
  Re: Well, gee, David... Oh Bother 07-30-2012 - 07:49
  Re: Well, gee, David... George Andrews 07-30-2012 - 20:15

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com