Re: VCRR is the Ports Problem-Even if the Operator may suck....
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-01-2019 - 08:56

Huey states the facts, this is an asset to the port.

So, no matter how crappy the operator, for whatever host of reasons, the general condition of the track is not their problem, unless it is part of their contract, and they are being paid to do more than operate and "maybe" "maintain" it in the state of "arrested decay" (like Bodie ghost town) in which they found it, when they got the contract.

It was in pretty rough shape the last time I was up that way, and it's been two years. And, I have seen some pretty rough "Class 1" in my time, and have put a few on the ground myself on worn out "Class 1" track (spread rails, broken joints, rotted ties...). Many of these we re-railed ourselves (it's amazing what you can do with enough scrap wood), and the track was "repaired" (nail the spikes back down, even replace one or two ties, to hold the spikes...)for less than the reporting threshold.

My experience with worn out "Class 1" track includes an incident or two, on the old Harbor Belt, when POLA had let that fall apart.... I note that POLB track was much better (but much of that was new and/or rebuilt in the 70's for the new auto and container docks). Of course, today, POLA-POLB is a frickin' "theme park" of world class intermodal track and RRing, having been almost completely rebuilt, with new track and heavy rail.

The Port probably does need to start spending some money on track rebuilding and better maintenance on the VC, as they seem to be getting a lot more auto business, which would seem to warrant it, and should be providing some cash flow for the port to do it. And, the operator isn't going to be the one "buying" the "Beamers", if the accident is a result of track defects, if they've got half decent legal counsel. So it may be in the ports interest.

And, if those "Beamers" often on "order" direct to buyers (you can track your very "own" Beamer on GPS on the ship and train all of the way from the factory to your dealer), keep on being wrecked, because the frickin' trains can't even stay on the frickin' Ports RR track at 10 mph., then maybe BMW unloading them in San Diego, will seem more attractive.... Which just might be something that could affect the Ports competitiveness, which it would also be in the Ports interest to address.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  VCRR is falling apart really bad. Johnathan 09-30-2019 - 14:35
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Phil 09-30-2019 - 15:04
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Not Matt Domen 10-01-2019 - 08:46
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Randall Coleman III 09-30-2019 - 16:06
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Nudge 09-30-2019 - 17:45
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. ron 09-30-2019 - 21:55
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. JoeBloe 09-30-2019 - 22:39
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. ShortlinesUSA 10-01-2019 - 08:07
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Shortline Sammie 10-01-2019 - 01:34
  Re: VCRR is falling apart really bad. Hueneme Huey 10-01-2019 - 08:14
  Re: VCRR is the Ports Problem-Even if the Operator may suck.... BOB2 10-01-2019 - 08:56
  Re: VCRR is the Ports Problem-Even if the Operator may suck.... FUD 10-01-2019 - 11:04
  Re: VCRR is the Ports Problem-Even if the Operator may suck.... It's a wooden axle outfit in today's auto port world... BOB2 10-01-2019 - 14:09

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com