Re: rip ncra
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 10-04-2007 - 23:16

Mr. Pechner,

I have respected and defended you on this forum numerous times in the past. But you do the cause no good by complaining about money spent on other public infrastructure projects. That's a bit like shooting yourself in the foot - biting the hand feeds, etc.

As to the Iraq war, or any war, there is not one sliver of connection between it and public railway funding. Even if we were to miraculously find ourselves in a true and real peace (big fat hairy chance of that - no matter which party is in power), not one thin dime of that money would then go to the NWP, or any other rail project (not even a slim chance). NOR SHOULD IT. It then belongs in the pockets of those who earned it. Let them have the peace dividend for a change.

As to no one complaining about the $100,000,000 plus already spent on the Capital Corridor. That is not so! I have, on numerous occasions. It am not concerned at all with this proper use of public money, as public transportation is my chosen profession. But my concern is that the state has been, and is, being RIPPED OFF by the likes of UP - and many other vendors that seem to just plain see us comming. This commonly shows up in my face in two ways.

First: With the state's capital investment in the Cal-P being such a high percentage of the total value of the property, where is the state's equity stake in it. Where is the operational control still residing; but with a private company (UP), who actually put less investment into it, routinely fails to adequately maintain it, and regularly puts their own freights (and un-manned cuts) in the way of the trains of the majority investor (the state). Mind you, that amount spent per mile went a long way towards actual title to a whole big lot of high speed trackage in Southern California.

Second: When the SP first started construction of the "Two Main Track CTC" on the east end, they maintained the existing signal spacing required for high density traffic. In fact, Dense enough to justify the "Four Aspect Signalling" they were installing. The state, which paid for the project, was getting a good product - then.

But When the UP took over in the middle of the project, that all changed. The west end signal spacing was lengthened significantly. Many blocks now being over 3.0 miles long, whereas they were once about 1.0 to 1.2 (as on the east end). At this long length, over slow curvy track, and with the now useless four aspect signalling still being installed, there can now be as much as 8 to 9 miles of approach aspects behind any train, when less that one mile is needed to stop from 40mph. Totally stUPid!

Any experienced signal designer would look at this with amazement and some dismay. Its all backwards! Usually, the slower the track speed, the closer the signals (to keep track capacity consistant). The reason for all this shinanigans becomes very transparent though, when you still hear the UP playing the "Capacity Card", now wanting three tracks in some places, like where they insist on parking strings of cars or whole unmanned trains on the main - actually at state expense of course.

The State ain' gettin what it paid for!

OPB

P.S. For the record - I hate war as much as anyone could, having actually been there done that (two years Vietnam). But I believe that it will always take two to have peace (both sides) - but only one side to have war. Even if a pacifist nation gives in there will still be no peace - Whatsoever!

There will never be peace until all peoples learn to leave each other alone; leave each other's stuff alone; leave each other's women alone; allow each other a religion dictated only by their own consciences; allow each other self determination; and treat each other with justice and respect.

Even then, all politicans will still have to stop mongering for power, treacherouly selling each other out (and even our soldiers while the're at it, and us as well), just to get it or keep it.

Fat Chance for any of this - Huh!

No wonder the present power greedy congress has an only 11% approval rating - Actually they disgust me - iiiiiiiiiccccckkkkkkk! --- Even worse than the President's dismaying lack of leadership, and his General's continual bungling of the war from the beginning.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  rip ncra hyball 09-30-2007 - 13:20
  ncra cajon 09-30-2007 - 15:24
  Re: ncra shortline sammie 09-30-2007 - 19:29
  NOVATO USING=taxpayer dollars D 09-30-2007 - 20:42
  Re: rip ncra E 09-30-2007 - 22:07
  Re: Visionary - Or Fantasy OldPoleBurner 09-30-2007 - 22:57
  Re: Visionary - Or Fantasy E 10-01-2007 - 07:16
  Re: Visionary - Or Fantasy shortline sammie 10-01-2007 - 08:59
  Re: Visionary - Or Fantasy Wizard 10-01-2007 - 09:17
  Re: Visionary - Or Fantasy Alf Doten 10-05-2007 - 12:21
  Re: rip ncra Rerail 10-01-2007 - 12:52
  Re: rip ncra Rich Hunn 10-01-2007 - 14:05
  Re: rip ncra Mike Pechner 10-03-2007 - 22:30
  Re: rip ncra lawrence labranche 10-04-2007 - 07:15
  Re: rip ncra E 10-04-2007 - 12:15
  Re: rip ncra Mike Swanson 10-04-2007 - 13:11
  Re: rip ncra Wizard 10-04-2007 - 19:52
  Re: rip ncra OldPoleBurner 10-04-2007 - 23:16
  Re: rip ncra George Andrews 10-05-2007 - 08:55
  Re: rip ncra Rich Hunn 10-06-2007 - 14:27
  Re: rip ncra E 10-05-2007 - 11:42
  Re: rip ncra Hog Heaven 10-08-2007 - 20:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com