Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually!
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 02-24-2010 - 15:05

>> Why is it that any amount of money is never a big deal when it's not coming out of the pocket of the person spending it?

Simple!

True enough, if it was out of my personal budget, being humble middle class that I am, 5 mil would swamp me!

But with a more global perspective than mere self-centered interest, it can be readily seen, that 5 mil (or even 10) does not even rise to the level of mere chump change; when compared to the billions directly spent on the alternatives each and every year in California alone. It isn't even lint in your pocket.

Not only that, there are trillions more spent and thousands of lives lost, trying to defend oil sources and shipping lanes in the unstable Middle East, that all alternatives to rail depend upon. We would not need to do that, except to preserve those alternatives; which are overused while rail is underused; only because of unequal subsidization. So those trillions should be accounted for in the comparison as well.

Beyond that simple comparison, is the inevitable collapse of Middle Eastern oil sources - it's only a matter of time. When truck fuel rapidly climbs to 5-10 dollars a gallon, you will be damn glad that the "lint" in your pocket paid for this. That is, if you will still want bread and meat on your table.

While I would prefer that private enterprise be the way we provide rail services; it simply cannot, under the current severely skewed marketplace. But given the magnitude of the economic calamity awaiting us if economical and universal common carriage is not preserved, it simply must be done anyway; my narrow preference for private enterprise not withstanding.

Of course, when the Middle East finally does collapse, it will force an end to market skewing highway and airline subsidies. Private enterprise railroading will then once again be able to fill the needs of smaller markets, in honest return for their profits.

Now after the economic pain and dislocations are over, that will be a great day indeed!

Too bad we will not do this on our own, thus avoiding much pain - but will instead wait for calamity to force us. But those areas that have already done it, will be much better off than those that didn't.

Though as of today, it is merely a holding action against a severely skewed and twisted market place, I believe that "lint" in our common pocket is well spent, while awaiting a better day.

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  NWP DAVE 02-23-2010 - 19:55
  Re: NWP LINE MORE WORK NEEDED FRA david i 02-23-2010 - 21:27
  Re: NWP LINE MORE WORK NEEDED FRA WAF 02-24-2010 - 06:29
  Re: NWP LINE MORE WORK NEEDED FRA Joel Manly 02-24-2010 - 06:59
  Re: NWP LINE MORE WORK NEEDED FRA Alfred Doten 02-24-2010 - 08:51
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! OldPoleBurner 02-24-2010 - 11:37
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! synonymouse 02-24-2010 - 12:00
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! Joel Manly 02-24-2010 - 12:09
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! OldPoleBurner 02-24-2010 - 15:05
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! Jeff A. 02-24-2010 - 18:46
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! George Andrews 02-24-2010 - 19:50
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! Juppo 02-24-2010 - 23:02
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! George Andrews 02-25-2010 - 06:18
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! Tony J Czuleger 02-25-2010 - 07:30
  Re: NWP LINE MORE Routine Work NEEDED Perpetually! Juppo 02-25-2010 - 09:26
  Realities of NWP Situation Chris 02-25-2010 - 08:50
  Re: Realities of NWP Situation Wizard 02-25-2010 - 09:27
  Re: Realities of NWP Situation synonymouse 02-25-2010 - 11:23

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com