Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection
Author: mook
Date: 05-26-2017 - 17:19

This one isn't a Get A Life proposition. Yes, SMART needs to get into the ferry terminal, not just across the street and up the hill a ways. Ending where they're going to end now is related to money: not quite enough of it available. Though San Rafael *was* kind of blindsided when SMART suddenly got funding for extending from downtown SR to the cardio-special ferry stop several years before anybody expected it, with construction likely to start soon. And a good thing, too, with the current Administration cutting whatever transit wasn't already on the books. So the bus shuttle should only last a few years until construction gets as far as the hill above SFD Blvd.

Back in the Original EIR Days, there were plans for getting into the terminal, essentially with a loop as many here have suggested. The price tag was substantial due to a lot of structural work (bridges aren't cheap). But frankly, that should be on their priority list, perhaps on a par with getting to Healdsburg (Windsor first, then flip a coin between Healdsburg and the terminal loop next; and oh yes some more sidings or longer ones so the schedule can make more sense). Of course, it all depends on whether it's popular enough to keep running after the first few years; one can only hope at this time.

I do think that the San Rafael temporary terminal will see a fair amount of traffic. Not just with Larkspur shuttles, but also with bus routes to the East Bay. Fair amount of commuting in the EB direction. Given the congestion and traffic volume on the Richmond Bridge and Eastshore, I'd almost wonder whether the return of the Richmond-San Rafael Ferry in some form might be in order. Served by SMART, of course.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Dirty Hairy 05-26-2017 - 11:50
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection george manley 05-26-2017 - 14:25
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Dirty Hairy 05-26-2017 - 15:44
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection ron 05-26-2017 - 16:52
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection mook 05-26-2017 - 17:19
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection BOB2 05-27-2017 - 15:05
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Rdader 05-27-2017 - 15:35
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection.......... BOB2 05-27-2017 - 19:32
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection.......... synonymouse 05-27-2017 - 20:27
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Joe Magruder 05-28-2017 - 07:42
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Practical 05-29-2017 - 00:33
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 01:18
  Re: Larkspur Ferry Connection-What is Practical about doing it poorly? BOB2 05-29-2017 - 08:21
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection mook 05-29-2017 - 11:34
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... BOB2 05-29-2017 - 14:17
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... mook 05-29-2017 - 15:50
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 17:48
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... NWPist 05-29-2017 - 19:08
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 20:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com