Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection
Author: mook
Date: 05-29-2017 - 11:34

Was just staring at the area on Google again, and looking up several other things online. Bottom line: the bike bridge over SFD Blvd is a wrench in the works for train access directly into the ferry terminal. Not an insurmountable problem, but adds to what would already be a relatively costly option. Yes, a BART-like single-post structure could be built, as was in some very early plans that were dropped for cost reasons before SMART finished their 2005 Draft EIS. But it would now have to deviate west into the freeway r/w for a short distance to get around the bike ramps, then run over the creek pretty much all the way into the terminal property. Including over some marshland that looks like the terminal project went to great pains to leave in place. And it would probably require removing the rest of the old NWP bridge. In all, it would be expensive, require many permits, and would be a NIMBY bonanza - local version of HSR in terms of lawsuits.

Here's another thought: also expensive, but no marshland involved. Build a decently wide elevated walkway with a roof (reducing sunburn and fogburn; also nice in the rain) and a moving walkway like in airport terminals from the station across the parking lots & down the road & across the parking lot to the terminal's front door.

The Larkspur station is in a bad location; no question about it. But under realistic funding circumstances it probably can't be helped. Misfortunately, we're stuck with it, and it will unnecessarily limit the potential for SMART-Ferry traffic. Oh well, what's a transit project without a few compromises to address in the future?

At this point, it appears that passengers transferring betweeen SMART and the ferry will be walking, either across the bike bridge then along SFD, or down to and along Larkspur Landing then using the pedestrian signal to cross SFD. Shuttle buses were discussed in the EA done for the extension, but no commitment was made. GGT's comments and SMART's responses in the EA Addendum ( [www2.sonomamarintrain.org] ) might be interesting.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Dirty Hairy 05-26-2017 - 11:50
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection george manley 05-26-2017 - 14:25
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Dirty Hairy 05-26-2017 - 15:44
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection ron 05-26-2017 - 16:52
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection mook 05-26-2017 - 17:19
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection BOB2 05-27-2017 - 15:05
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Rdader 05-27-2017 - 15:35
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection.......... BOB2 05-27-2017 - 19:32
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection.......... synonymouse 05-27-2017 - 20:27
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Joe Magruder 05-28-2017 - 07:42
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection Practical 05-29-2017 - 00:33
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 01:18
  Re: Larkspur Ferry Connection-What is Practical about doing it poorly? BOB2 05-29-2017 - 08:21
  Re: Article On SMART-Larkspur Ferry Connection mook 05-29-2017 - 11:34
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... BOB2 05-29-2017 - 14:17
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... mook 05-29-2017 - 15:50
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 17:48
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... NWPist 05-29-2017 - 19:08
  Re: I can hardly believe I once saw men actually land of the friggin' moon, but we can't....... synonymouse 05-29-2017 - 20:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com