Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink Bob here's why?
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-22-2019 - 14:47

Bob,

Fist, they are going all of the way out beyond the downtown Redlands depot, to a stop at the University of Redlands just south of the Campus. I don't think this goes quite all the way to old Mentone, but downtown to the school adds at least another mile, or so, according to my official David Curlee supplied Altamont Timetable. So, I split the difference for going to the Uni... and rounded it off to about 10 (and change) route miles to be reconstructed and call it at about $35 million per mile.

Second, there are 5 stations, to be built and or upgraded, or in Redlands case rehabbed for use, with parking (although I could not see if any parking structures are involved, one of these alone can go for up to $100,000 per space, depending on land costs). And, if I understand correctly, some of this may also include the reconstruct work that has already been under way and/or now done, in San Berdo, to better reconfigure the whole Metrolink run-through services, access to the storage RR east of the depot, and these shuttle operations. Depending on the amount of parking they intend to provide and the amount property acquisition required, this can be very costly.

Third is it includes redoing all of the crossings as "quiet zones" to keep all those Nimby's pacified, especially in the shi-shi historic hoods around the University, at upwards of million a pop, or more where you have odd intersects and major arterials crossing at angles, which need to be upgraded and/or integrated with the crossings, and this is a lot of crossings.

Fourth, is the vehicles, which are included in the price tag, from what I understand. Maybe somebody has a number for their doodlebugs, which would come out of that total $355 million price tag?

So track, ballast, switches signals, PTC, utility relocations, new raised and stabilized roadbed (this is an 1880's branch line, laid across a flood plain), new bridges, culverts, and drainage, which was all in pretty bad shape, are only a subset of that total. And, given this is basically a brand new line, with stations, parking, crossing, and vehicles, the cost is not as bad as it looks.

Big choo-choo's is an expensive business these days. Folks laughed back around 2006 or so, when I told the good folks out at RCTC they'd need to pony up about a half a billion to add a new track ov,er Beaumont, to get UP to even consider allowing any passenger service to the Coachella Valley. They thought that I was joking back then.... Today. I'd make that estimate a rounded off billion dollars...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink ron 07-21-2019 - 12:36
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... BOB2 07-21-2019 - 13:35
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... ron 07-21-2019 - 14:28
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... BOB2 07-21-2019 - 14:44
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... ron 07-21-2019 - 15:09
  Re: Imagine great things, and figure out the steps you need follow, to get them done...? BOB2 07-21-2019 - 15:35
  Re: Imagine great things, and figure out the steps you need follow, to get them done...? ron 07-21-2019 - 15:41
  Re: TEA and crumpets...to Enhance our lives...? BOB2 07-21-2019 - 15:58
  Re: TEA and crumpets...to Enhance our lives...? ron 07-21-2019 - 16:09
  Re: TEA and crumpets...to Enhance our lives...? Joe Cullum 07-22-2019 - 09:29
  Re: Supervisinng Tommy J. No way... Grants, and finding some money, maybe...? BOB2 07-22-2019 - 15:37
  Re: Supervisinng Tommy J. No way... Grants, and finding some money, maybe...? GH 07-22-2019 - 20:39
  Re: Supervisinng Tommy J. No way... Grants, and finding some money, maybe...? GH 07-22-2019 - 20:45
  Re: OERM is "borderline insolvent", as you claim in your postt? Where is your sourcing?...? BOB2 07-23-2019 - 00:46
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... mvs 07-21-2019 - 14:34
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... BOB2 07-21-2019 - 14:54
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... Joe Cullum 07-21-2019 - 15:23
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... Joe Cullum 07-21-2019 - 15:36
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink-Great News, Can;t Wait to Ride..."Rare mileage", restored to service... Cprr 07-21-2019 - 20:47
  Re: Historic Perris..? Well....?. BOB2 07-21-2019 - 21:43
  Re: Historic Perris..? Well....?. Cprr 07-22-2019 - 07:36
  Re: Historic Perris..? Well....?. ron 07-23-2019 - 12:39
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink BOB R 07-22-2019 - 13:55
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink Bob here's why? BOB2 07-22-2019 - 14:47
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink Bob here's why? WhoNeedsConsultants 07-22-2019 - 15:06
  Re: Redlands groundbreaking for Metrolink Bob here's why? BOB R 07-22-2019 - 18:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com